Best start up mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by JimsLocalLawn, Jan 22, 2013.

1. JimsLocalLawn

JimsLocalLawn LawnSite Senior Member

This thread is for the solo guy who is looking to get into this business on a budget, making the BEST decision on what walk behind to buy. Most of you would say "go commercial" but we are just starting out here ON A BUDGET under $2000!!! Used is out of the question, assume that option doesn't exist!

Toro Timemaster 30" Walk Behind ($1000)
    Cub Cadet / Craftsman 33" 760es Walk behind ($1200)
    Bradley / Redhawk 36" ebay Walk behind ($1500)
    Ariens WAW34 34" Walk behind ($1600)
    Billy Goat Homepro34 Walk behind ($1700)
    Worldlawn 33" Walk behind Honda engine ($1900)
    Simplicity Pacer 32" Walk behind ($2000)

Lets make an informed decision here, these are your ONLY options available, post your opinion and any experience you had with these machines. Seven models, one choice ... Which is yours?

2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Of the choices listed, I would go with the Bradley / Red Hawk option !!

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

The cub cadet. But better yet I'd search for a used dual hydro floating deck 36" for the same money.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

Simplicity

5. kandalawncaremgr

kandalawncaremgr LawnSite Member

Hey Jim
    I was in the same position last year and I went with the timemaster and was every happy. But everyone has opinions and I'm sure they'll talk **** about the timemaster. But you asked for my opinion. I would spend a grand on the toro and 500 on a good handheld blower and trimmer and the other 500 on advertising. That's what I did and I gotten 24 weekly accounts my first year . Starting my second year soon.

6. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

If you only have 2k and you are "trying" starting a business, all I can say is good luck.

7. kandalawncaremgr

kandalawncaremgr LawnSite Member

Hey orange I started with two grand. You just got to know what to spend money on. Buy the right things. Insurance, business lic, start up equip and away you go. I'm starting my second year with 40 weekly residential accounts.

8. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

Take my advice on the timemaster. Dont do it. I made the decision last spring to purchase one and used it for a week or so on about 30 lawns a week and the engine rpms kept shooting way up and after bringing it to the dealer quite a few times they found it shattered a governor gear. I will never buy anything made by briggs and stratton and most importantly i wont buy anything made for
    residential. I cant say which one to buy but dont buy anything thats not made for commercial use.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Above Par Lawns

Above Par Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

2k is plenty enough to start a lawn business. Don't forget you were small at one time to. People like you make me hate these forums.

BINGO!
    Congrats!

10. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member