best starter zero turn

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Property Plus, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Property Plus

Property Plus LawnSite Member

im looking at getting started, and want a zero turn as opposed to a reg riding mower.

i've looked at exmark, kubota, cub cadets

i need to buy alot of equiptment to get me going and was wondering if a lower end kubota would be fine to start with?

the dealer was going to sell me a kubota riding mower with vac and double bag for 3500 canadian brand new. but im leary on riding mower since zeros are the way to go for ease and less trimming and finer work

2. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Dixie Chopper 50HP Diesel. It doesn't have enough power for the real professional.
  3. EMWEB

EMWEB LawnSite Member

SCAG 48 Tiger Cub with a HONDA engine is an excellent start . . .
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It all comes down to how much money do you want to spend? Hard to understand putting $7K just in a mower when starting least that would be my thinking. Now if you are going to mow large properties 1 acre+ then that is a different story. That is another decision to be made before buying equipment. In our market you could focus on yards that could be cut with a 21" or go for the high end jobs that you need a 60"+ machine.
  5. SidelinePropMgr

SidelinePropMgr LawnSite Member

Wright Standers !!!
  6. Property Plus

Property Plus LawnSite Member

well the amount of money i'll have to spend is unknown but its probably going to be in the area of 15 grand not including a loan if i decide to take one out

im just leary on entering the business because the market seems so saturated with people doing lawn care and property maintenance that it will be almost impossible to get customers and make a profit for myself
  7. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

go with something along the 34 to 40" deck sizes for starting out i don't know if you will find a ZTR with a 40" deck out there but toro makes a nice WB with the turbo force deck, But start small so you don't have to worry about gated property's and plus a bigger mower Will take a nice hunk out of your pocket.
  8. alot2lurn

alot2lurn LawnSite Member

I bought a Scag 48" Tiger Cub back in April . So far I like it , it's built like a tank . It's a heavy duty commercial machine and I got it for around 6k w a 19 hp. Kaw. My next mower will be a Scag but I will probably get a 52" or bigger and I will get the biggest Kaw. offered.The 19 hp. does bog a little in tall wet grass .One reason I would get a 52" is when mowing under fences that extra 2" on each side will save a lot of trimming . As far as getting through gates goes I was really concerned about that because most of my jobs were residential properties in subdivisions I actually considered getting the 36" Scag Zcat but personaly I'm glad I did'nt because I have'nt run into that problem once.This is my first year mowing for clients hence the screen name but I'll bet if you get anything smaller than 48" you'll soon regret it.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

It all depends on the lots you will cut-- But I would spend 3500 on a Good commercial walk behind before throwing away that money on a junk rider that is only good for homeowners.
    From this last statement I would stop worring about mowers and do a business plan. If you know you will not be making money why get into this work????
  10. WetWell

WetWell LawnSite Member

Why would you buy all new wquipment if you aren't sure on what you will need? Go to and find your local area, then search the for sale ads for mower. People sell almost new stuff all the time for half off or more.