1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Best stick edger under $350

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by WillsLandscape, May 28, 2013.

1. wat5150

wat5150 LawnSite Member

I use echo and redmax. They are both solid. the redmax is a little older but it is a tough powerful machine. As was stated earlier a steady diet of seafoam through these things will help them tremendously.

2. austins35

austins35 LawnSite Member

common design flaw with a Stihl curved shaft edger

try a stihl FC110 it's a completely different animal than a FC90

3. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I may be in the market for a new stick edger as well since I just picked up an account with a 1000 foot long driveway to edge :dizzy:

4. zspeed130

zspeed130 LawnSite Member

5. hmlawn

hmlawn LawnSite Member

This is my new account (I used to be Willslandscape). i'm now hmlawn.

Anyways, I bought my brother's used echo PE-265 for $220 and it's beats the you- know-what out of my craftsman. It started 3 pulls after sitting unused for about 2 years and runs really good. :weightlifter:

Went to ace hardware and got a new blade for it that has a really thick width, I heard that they last forever, and they do. I edged about 600 feet of edges yesterday and it barely wore the paint off of the blade. I highly recommend them compared to the thin ones that waste away to nothing really fast.

IMG_2341.jpg

6. Bobbo22

Bobbo22 LawnSite Member

How is the Kombi? Enough power? What attachments do you have for it?

7. DanielRoden

DanielRoden LawnSite Member

I really like my Redmax. It cost around 350.00 and works great. I have been using it for three years and it still runs like the day I bought it.

8. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know where you got the idea they last forever. I wouldn't be worried about the paint worried off, how you tell when they start getting worn is measure them when their new length ways, then measure it after several lawns. It will be much shorter. They get shorter when they wear. I change them once a day. I can get a whole day out of them, by the end of the day I'm having to push that blade deeper down to get the edge I like. I order them by the 100's from here for about .80-.90 cents a piece.

http://www.texasmowerparts.com/

For that echo edger, it looks just like mine. I have the PE-266 and it's a great machine, reliable, and the power is pretty decent on it. However, after a year of use, I'm willing to bet you have to adjust the carb. There's a plug on the back of the carb. which is an easy adjust.

9. hmlawn

hmlawn LawnSite Member

I get the idea that they'll last forever by how they are about twice the width of any other blade, and I edged about 600 feet and the paint was barely worn off, and the metal was barely rounded on the corners. Also, when we were at the store buying it, a salesman said that a commercial landscaper (like you) uses them all day every day and they last forever for HIM, so they'll definitely last forever for a guy that's only going to be doing 3-4 lawns total.

I do my lawn and one other and don't plan on getting more than maybe 2 or 3 other clients as I'm 15 and school is my main priority right now. Currently I go through about 2 blades a year.

I tried to upload a picture of the width of the blade, but for some reason it failed. I have no clue why if I take pictures of stuff with my cellphone and load them on my computer, lawn site lets one of the photos (only 1, every time) upload and all the rest fail. Annoying.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  10. ilike2mow

ilike2mow LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an Echo PE-200 which is a great edger for yards where there aren't overgrown. They run great. The new Echo "PE-200" is the PE-225 which replaced the old PE-200 which I have. I would suggest an Echo as they are lightweight and they also last forever like Loganslawncare11 mentioned in a previous comment.