Best stick edger?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, May 1, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I am looking into getting a stick edger, I never used one but reading in here about them has me convinced to buy one. Just wondering how you guys that use them like them vs. a push edger. And how do they work for cutting in new edges vs. a bed edger? :waving:

2. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I think a stick edger is much faster than a w/b edger. For edging beds you will need a dedicated bed edger like a Brown, EZ trench and others. Bed edgers are inordinatley expensive.

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Yeah I hear ya! Big bucks for an occational job or two, Iv'e been using the old spead flat head shovel deal. I do a good job, nice deep even edges, but man it takes forever some times. I never actually priced one impaticular but I'm sure they are big $$$$.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I would check into renting a bed edger, in my area its about 100 bux a day, also check this thread from earlier today
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=105778
    and they are useless for cutting in a new bed, a stick or push edger

5. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

I recently bought a robin brand stick adger and man does it cut down on time,yeah i have to put my hands on two different pieces of equipment but it sure saves time and cuts a perfect edge to boot!!!

6. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what i do. I can get one at Taylor Rental for $75 a day.

The cost of a new one is in the $2000 range. :dizzy:

7. surfisher211

surfisher211 LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

i use the red max HEZ2500S and i love it !!

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I can't see how a stick edger can be faster than a trimmer....I can walk as fast with a trimmer as I can with a stick edger?? And it takes you time to walk back to the trailer lock up you trimmer unlock your stick edger gas it up start it and walk back...that doesn't take time?? And what do these things cost...just another cost and piece of equipment to stroe on trailer...bad idea!! True Green don't use any stick edgers!!

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I don't base anything I do or use on what Tru Green or Brickman does but I have in fact seen both of them using stick edgers, so that must be where you are only.

We have both stick edgers and of course trimmers on the trailers but I have noticed lately that the stick edgers are getting used less and less for edging with the trimmers being used most of the time.

10. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I just bought a new Stihl FC85 last friday. I had one stolen last fall and need to replace it. I looked at the Shin LG230 and the Stihl 110 (4 mix) but decided to go with the 85. I have 3 trimmers with the same powerhead and will probably up grade when they discontinue all the 2 cycle powerheads.