1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best stone for blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by leeslawncare, Aug 14, 2001.

1. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Any of you guys got a brand of stone that works good for sharpening blades on a standerd bench grinder?
  2. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Use a Magna-Matic if you want a true sharpener. ;)
  3. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Lee i just got my new RGB218 blade grinder this morning and it has the Ceramic Wheel i sharpened 5 sets of blades this morning took me around 40seconds to sharper each blade. ITs wonderful purchase. If your just useing a regular bench grinder, i would rather sharpen with a belt sander or a angel grinder. Guess you could get the Ceramic or the Ruby Wheel...But i no now i should have purchased that Grinder along time ago Eric uses this Pro Model also he is the one who got me inrested in one. Id try the Ceramic Wheel and best of luck on your sharpening. Marks Mowing Service......ps really id use the angle grinder
  4. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd have to agree. Get a true mower blade grinder and you won't understand how you did without it. I am set up to sell the Magnamatic equipment, along with the store listed here on this site. I have used a bench grinder and the stone was just too coarse, but I survived until now. Save your money and get the good grinder. The rock on these are designed to give a good grind but not to give grind surface much heat, therefore much better than bench grinder which always gets blades warm. And remember if you get it too hot you can change the temper of the blade, making it brittle and it wont hold a sharp edge very long at all.