Best stone grit for sharpening blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CoachLinz, Jun 20, 2003.

1. CoachLinz

CoachLinz LawnSite Member

I only have money for a cheap bench grinder for now. I was out looking and there were 2 I saw at a low enough price. 1 has a single 120 grit stone that is approx. 1 1/2" wide. The other has 2 stones - 36 grit and 60 grit - that are each about 3/4" wide. I can buy other stones (coarser or finer) for either one. So ,my question is - what grit is correct for sharpening mower blades? What grit stones are you guys using.

Please don't recommend other, more expensive options. I know there are better machines to do it, but this is all I can afford right now. Next year, I will upgrade.

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

It's been a while since I've sharpened blades (out of the mowing end of the business), but I believe 120 grit is too coarse. I used a ruby wheel, but i forget what grit it was. Hopefully, someone else can help shed light on this.

Mike

3. CoachLinz

CoachLinz LawnSite Member

OK. If the 120 is too coarse, then the other 2 are definitely out (lower number=coarser stone). Anybody else know for sure?

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Buy a 4 1/2" hand held angle grinder.

Put blade in vise, clamp down.

And grind away.

Only thing a bench grinder is good for is to put a wire wheel on to clean the blade prior to sharpening and balancing. On the other end I have a fine grit stone to dress the back side of the blade if needed.

If you plan to be in this business, invest in a dedicated blade sharpener. Go out and get a 0% intrest credit card and put it on there!? But you don't want to hear this, right!?

Bottom line, if all you can afford is a $ 75 grinder, get a hand held angle grinder.

5. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Have you priced blade sharpening in your area?A local hardware store here charges 2.00 each.they do a better job than I can,I have a benchgrinder,4"angle grinder,a dremel tool,a vise and a half dozen files and still can't do a good job. The Lesco dealer does them 3 fo 7.00 and they are fantastic,twice as good as hardware store, 10x better than me.:confused:

Did I mention I'm saving for a good sharpener??;)

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

:D

But for $2/blade, Id have them do it too!

Most are $5 to 7 and don't do nearly as good a job as I can.

sharp blades.jpg

7. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I use an angle grinder and a big file...... the grinder is only used when the file can't restore the edge...... oh yeah, keep a wire brush handy to clean the file.... makes a big difference.
    I have used a blade grinder, and they do work exactly as they're designed to.............. I just can't swing the expense right now.......maybe after some fall clean-up ca$h!.......... ready for next year.

8. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

Use the coarse stone 60 grit.
    Steve Snider

9. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

I have a magnamatic. LOVE IT!.
    I can get a perfect edge in less than 1 minute per blade.
    Only way to go. Even a not-so-bright employee can't screw it up.

10. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I am not exactly sure, but i think one of the dealers around here charges homeowners $15 per blade for sharpening.

Again not sure, but can't they buy a new blade for $20?