Best straight shaft trimmer in your opinion?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by landcruiser, Mar 21, 2009.

1. landcruiser

landcruiser LawnSite Member
    from Tx

I need to replace my 12+ year old Echo straight shaft string trimmer (someone stole it). What do you recommend? I used my Echo for years and loved it. It was very lightweight but the little 22cc engine had all the power I needed. Is the SRM 210 Echo good or is there some other brand that is better for approx. the same money? I do not want a 4 stroke and weight is very important to me. I've used an older Stihl and it was much heavier than my Echo but I've never used any newer Stihl trimmers or any other brand. Give me your opinions and the best place to buy what you recommend. Thanks.

2. Green Machine Mowing

Green Machine Mowing LawnSite Senior Member

i have an echo SRM-265, love it. the new engines seem to have more nuts per cc then the older ones, so you can probly stick with about 22cc and have all the power you need. id go with the echo you mentioned, good machine

3. jg244888

jg244888 LawnSite Senior Member

your gonna get mixed opinions from all these
    Stihl
    Echo
    Husqvarna
    Redmax
    Shindaiwa
    you pretty much same with any of these brands!!

4. A914Man

A914Man LawnSite Member

I've had excellent service life from Stihl equipment, but they are more expensive.

5. jg244888

jg244888 LawnSite Senior Member

pretty much safe

6. luis@NJ

luis@NJ LawnSite Senior Member

Not to bash on stihl (great saws) but my friend has a stihl trimmer and i have to rev it so much maybe it needs an adjustment idk. But i have 2 echo srm 210's and i like them alot! I believe i have them 3 years now and they still run great, lightweight and good power!

7. scagdude

scagdude LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Go with stihl. there is a reason they are the number one brand nationwide!! Never had a problem. as far as where to buy i need to know your exact location. im in tx as well. what city are you located in? i would go stihl but its personal preference. i can point you in the direction of good dealers just let me know your location.

8. landcruiser

landcruiser LawnSite Member
    from Tx

Scagdude, I'm around the Longview Texas area - 2 hours east of Dallas. Historically, I've liked Echo over Stihl for trimmers simply because the Stihl's I've used have been heavier. That's the only reason. But I've never used a "new" Stihl trimmer. Maybe they are lighter now. My 21.2cc Echo always had enough power so that's not an issue too much. What Stihl do you recommend and do you know a good dealer in my area? Thanks for your help. I love the quote. I'm a Christian as well and know the Truth.

9. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

FS90R Stihl, great trimmers.

We still have a few SRM 210s they were good trimmers, but under powered, and small gas tanks.

The stihl's only get refueled once a day and get great fuel economy. they're also the easiest to start trimmers we've ever owned and the quietest.

10. sosaysmorvant

sosaysmorvant LawnSite Member

What are the main advantages to a stright shaft trimmer vs. a curved shaft? Is edging easier with a stright shaft???