Best sub $300 pusher

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by speedster, Jul 2, 2008.

1. speedster

speedster LawnSite Member

My non technical thifty father has been asking me for a recommendation on a push mower. He's tight as hell and doesn't want to spend over $300. He wants something that is self propelled. He cuts about 1 acre (mostly flat with a few slopes) per week.

Any recommendations? Honda engine? Briggs? Brand? etc

Thanks..........

2. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell him you get what you pay for. Toro is a nice home owner mower.

3. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

self prop for under $300??? you guys have the "want ad" there? get a used exmark outta there. just get something with a beefy deck and a good engine. the other stuff's bells & whistles. most sub 3hundred mowers are really for $hit- new anyhow.

4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

$300 and your mowing an acre? Wow!! Thats tough. Stay clear from the Tecumseh engines, briggs and honda both make fine engines. I wouldnt worry so much about the engine, (it being a briggs or a honda) as I would the self propel for the unit. (Assuming you get a unit with self propel) The cheaper mowers have all plastic gears for their drive system and they wear out extremely quick and mowing an acre at a time with it wont take it long to reach the grave at all. If you're getting a push mower, get the kind that have the really large wheels in the back. They're easier to push.

5. speedster

speedster LawnSite Member

We ending up getting this from Home Depot. I guess it will be fine for his purposes.

His yard is more like 2/3 acre instead of 1 acre and it's relatively flat. I tried to get him to buy a rider once but he insisted that push mowing helps him stay in shape. He says it's one of the only forms of exercise he gets. His idea of taking it easier as he gets older is to get s self propelled mower instead of a pusher. :)

6. tallguylehigh

tallguylehigh LawnSite Member

Well it certainly got good ratings on the site. Best of luck with the mower!