Best Sulkey / Velkey

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 101numlock, Aug 20, 2006.

1. 101numlock

101numlock LawnSite Member

Who makes the best sulkey. I have a 36 toro with a Koler cammand 15.

2. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

I've had two now, got both of them for under $125.00 each, brand new in the box.
    Much better than the sulky's I have tried (too heavy/leave nasty tire tracks) and much more comfortable.

[​IMG]

3. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

I have 2 jungle Jims and 3 Lesco. The Lesco is way better but you have to have a machine with good traction and drive It rides so much better it is not close PERIOD!

4. surgeon83

surgeon83 LawnSite Member

The best I have had is a Bullrider. Each unit can work either of 2 ways just by moving pins around:

1. Caster wheels free to move, unit does not pivot- works WONDERS if you're on a hydro because it doesn't jack-knife on zero-turns. Also you are always in the same position relative to the mower on turns- much more comfortable than that awkward change on turns.

-or-

2. They also have the option to lock the caster wheels and have the entire unit pivot on turns.

Cost $350 though.

Before discovering the bullrider I bought a couple of Cherry-otts, which are basically like velkes but much bulkier and have considerably larger tires. I think I paid $255 each for those.

EDIT: Its been 7 years since I was in a Lesco showroom, but I do recall their riding attachment to be fixed-position with caster wheels- is that the case, REALSLOW? If so, that would be comparable to the bullrider. I would never go any other way than a non-pivoting unit.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

The ProSlide PJDiesel suggests most likely will not work on your 36" wide mower. I have an Exmark 36" Viking, Hydro drive, 15hp Kohler. The ProSlide did not work; the mower is too light and too small. The stand-on slider controlled the machine.

I agree with surgeon83 -- the Bullrider was my next choice. But, again, the 36" mower is too small, too light to use the BR in caster mode. I use it in trailer mode. No, the combination doesn't work like I would like (as a fixed unit, mower and sulky together), but I have leaned to be patient and how to make turns while using it in trailer mode.

I have some images of the setup. If you PM me with your e-mail, I will send them (I am unable to post pictures on LS).

My first sulky was a one-wheeled Velke. It was a help to minimize walking, but I did not like the wheel stripe down the middle. I only used the one-wheeled unit on scrappy lawns, and continued to walk on the better ones.

6. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

The Lesco is fixed and by judging from picture looks to be heavier built than a Bullrider but I do not know. It's the best one I know of.

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

When I checked about putting a Lesco sulky on my 36" mower, I found the outside/outside width of the caster wheels was well beyond 36". I don't recall the exact measurement, but I quickly discarded the Lesco option because I knew the wheels would be running in uncut grass. Maybe they have changed the design since I looked 5-6 years ago. I'm just suggesting that the dimension, out/out, be checked to learn if it will work with a 36" mower.

8. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

Velke X2 is my favorite, and i have tried about all of them.