Best sulky for a hydro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by copoly1, Aug 6, 2006.

1. copoly1

copoly1 LawnSite Member

I just bought a Exmark TT 48" and got a set of Jungle Wheels for it. I don't like them b/c if I'm not real careful backing up they jackknife. So what should I do? Get a one wheel velke and step off when backing up or go for a two wheel spindle unit? Any input would be appreciated.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

You will get used to it in time we have two veilkes.
  3. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Look at the Lesco sulky its designed for a hydro only, It has 2 castors

tracks behind the mower. about $300 Ed
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah you really are supposed to step off the velke anytime you're backing up, it tells you this under some warning in the manual but then I don't do it either LOL

Another solution is to order the $200 1-wheel velke from J-Thomas, now you still are supposed to step off it BUT should you forget then that $200 velke has a stop at about the 90 degree angle position so it will not fold up completely, it just kind of hangs at a right angle which could save your ankles especially during a FAST backup. But the fact it will not fold up will make that tire drag as well...

Personally, I like the standard $300 velke, the being careful while backing up simply trains me so that when I unload the Wb from the trailer, it doesn't jackknife then, either.

Never am much into safety features myself heh.
  5. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

Trimmer trap makes one called the bull rider

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

I have 3 of them, they are way better than the jungle wheels but in order to truly appreciate what they can do you should have 20x 10 wheels on your mower it makes them work ay better on swinging the velkie on hills. REAL GOOD comparable with a stander when set up right!
  7. tru turf

tru turf LawnSite Member

8. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

My crew and I like the Origional singel wheel Velke. We also have 1 hydro walk behind that has the Velke X2 which has 2 wheels. The extra width of the 2 wheel velke can make it hard to negoiate in tight areas. So for us the single wheel is the best all around type of ride on device. Before I started my own company, I worked for another Lawn Service which used Husqvarna, and some older Buttons with jungle wheels, sulkys, and fabricated units. On the Husqvarna walk behinds they used the pro slide. These are ok, but when you step off of it, the pro slide in the up position is perfect to bash up your knees and shins. :hammerhead: With the jungle wheels, your right. I dont like them either. The Sit Down Sulkys are great till you need to back up, then you not only have to get off, but you have to lift them up out of the way or they can tear up the grass. There is probably no perfect walk behind ride on device. It will basically come down to what you can learn to live with.

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

BULL RIDER best by far
  10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The EXMARK stand on is very good! JMO