best things to buy for add ons

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikesjumpingin, Jun 2, 2003.

1. mikesjumpingin

mikesjumpingin LawnSite Member

What do you rate as good top five equipment investments for services in you area?

I just bought a chain saw, but I was thinking that money may have been better spent on a hedge trimmer. This is my ranking so far:

1. 48" Mower
    2. Stihl grass trimmer
    3. Echo backpack blower

Good items--but I don't think will pay for themselves first season:

1. Lesco spreader and liquid applicator and applicator's license.
    2. Chain saw.
    3. Edger attachment.

Although I bought the last three for sensible reasons for the long run, I don't think I will make a lot more money having purchased them.

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I agree. I don't have much use for my chainsaw (maybe once a year), but I use my hedge trimmers quite a bit. I have 2 plus an articulating attachment for my string trimmer. Doing some trimming tomorrow!
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Leaf vac and grain truck with dump bed.....hands down.

4. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

aerator ,topdresser ,ztr with bagger for leaves on it to ,hedge trimmer;s 300 gallon spray tank and fert spreader all good investments pay for them selves real quick.
    Im not insured for big tree cutting so chain saw for me also not a great investment ,i sub out all big tree work.
  5. I`d have to say my 48" ariens ZTR
    and my stihl trimmer , have made me the most money.
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

my first commercial peice was my Stihl FS80 trimmer. I suppose maybe my best investment might have been the Scag w/b as it's more than paid for itself even if it could use more power, it was 1/3 the price of a new belt drive machine and has gotten me this far. The backpack blower is an absolute must have, mine was practically free (traded some stuff for it). I hear a truck and trailer is nice too LOL.
    Double blades are an extremely good cost effective method of increasing profit and reducing labor and time spent on a property, great way to give your company the edge over other LCO's. Better striping too!