1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Time for CrabGrass Application .. ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lost Pine, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Lost Pine

Lost Pine LawnSite Member

Well it's that time again in the Northeast....Application time. Over the years I've heard just about every story and tale about when it is best to apply Crabgrass prevention. I've heard everything from, When the ground temperature is 60 degrees to when the Azaleas bloom.

Now that I'm on this great website, I thought I'd ask everyone, What's your take on application...? ;)
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Good rule of thumb is just as forsythia starts to bloom. Azaleas? Try weed n feed by then.
  3. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

i herd the same thing about the forsythia.
  4. ArkansasLawns

ArkansasLawns LawnSite Member

Before you can see that you should of already used it. Here in My area mid January to mid Feb.
  5. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

Mine also I put my first Pre-Emerge down the 15th of Jan is when i begin
  6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Crabgrass germinates when soil temps average 55 degrees for a few days.

We just hit that range in North Georgia a few days ago.

You folks up North still have some time, but never too early to get it done.

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

try this website and it will tell you what weeds you can start treating for both pre and post emergant.
  8. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Some good info there. Thanks
  9. Agri-AFC

Agri-AFC LawnSite Member

Great advice Turf Unlimited. If you can Lost Pine, try to do split applications of 0.25% a.i. per acre.
  10. Lost Pine

Lost Pine LawnSite Member

YES ! Thanks ! Lesco has come out with a split application this year for the NJ area...One on the 25th of march and again June 1st. I think I'll give it a try !!! :dancing: