1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best time for fall application????

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by abcfamily, Sep 1, 2007.

1. abcfamily

abcfamily LawnSite Member

I was told that the best time to put on fall weed (trimec) application is just prior to the first frost.
    Is this true?
    I don't do it commercially but was wanting to apply it at my church this fall.
  2. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

before Oct 15 for the Northeast
  3. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Not sure where Celina is but here in southern Indiana around October 1-15 is when I do mine.
  4. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

University studies have shown that the best kill of weeds occur if the application occurs within 10 days after the first hard frost. Of course we don't all have the luxury of time so I do mine starting in late September in central Wisconsin.

Mike I
    Mike's Total Lawn Care
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Sept 1 to Oct 20.
  6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I am just South of you right off 127 close to the Eaton area.

I would recommend as the others and shoot for sometime in the early to mid Oct time range.

I have sprayed as late as mid Novemeber and as long as the dandys are still green, and it will still take them out. If we have a really cold Oct and early Nov this probably won't work....but that rarely happens anymore!

As long as the plant it actively growing it will intake the product. If the plants are starting to turn purple or black due the the frosts it will definitly reduce your kill rate.
  7. abcfamily

abcfamily LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone!:waving:
    One last question .
    what is the herbicide that you prefer to use for fall weed kill / prevention?
    Thanks again it is much appreciated.:usflag:
  8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ditto with all. We're using UAP's Mecamine-D for our fall weed & feed. Basically it's "Trimec". LESCO 3-way is very similar. Both have dicamba which also offers a little bit of extended control of dandies, etc. If you have a LESCO dealer in your area, I'd buy from them.
  9. kdt64

kdt64 LawnSite Member
    from Mi

Where is a good place to pick some Mecamine-D up at and whats the price for 10000 Sq Ft.

10. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I start my fall applications the last week of August. I get my best weed control after the first frost until the ground is frozen. I finish in November.