Best time of day to water

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JethroBodine, Apr 18, 2004.

1. JethroBodine

JethroBodine LawnSite Member
    from IL

I am homeowner looking for a strait answer. What is the best time of day to water? (I am sure this has been hashed over before but I am getting errors today when searching)

I have always heard that watering at night causes disease in your lawn. I have also heard you can water once the sun went down, but not to water at dusk.

In the past I have always basically watered all night so that the irrigation was shutting down about 8am and never had any problems.

Have I just been lucky?: confused:

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

You've been lucky. Water in the early A.M.

3. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

i agree...right before sunrise.

brian

'victory 2004'

4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Sprinkler should shut off 1 hour before sunrise you lose less water to evaporation

5. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

its best to water when dew is naturally on the plant

6. JethroBodine

JethroBodine LawnSite Member
    from IL

Is this information conflicting or am I not reading somthing right?

7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Every one is saying the same thing different ways

8. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

The best time to water is when it's been dark for hours and the sun is barely peaking over the horzion.

9. TennTexan

TennTexan LawnSite Member

Your best time to water is in the early AM: better water pressure, usually less wind, plus some plant material doesn't like cool water and hot sunlight hitting at the same time. If you water in the evening, you risk small areas of standing water laying there all night promoting fungi growth and other bad things, you want the sun coming up right after you finish to help evaporate any water that's standing.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Mornings are best. Here our air is so dry that even watering in the evening usually won't create mold, fungi and disease. But I like mornings since the winds usually kick up in the afternoon/evening.