Best time of year to aerate?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by dura to the max, Jul 12, 2008.

1. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i have a small bermuda lawn i maintain that i believe is in dire need of aeration. what is the best time of year to aerate? also about how long does it take to aerate a small (5-6k sq ft lawn, maybe smaller i didnt measure) and clean it up afterward? also what kind of clean-up is needed? after aeration is there anything else that i need to do? fert? just getting into aeration and i want to do it right and i know nothing about the process.

thanks

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Fall is the best time to aerate. Don't pick up the cores, they will break down over time, especially after some rain. It is ideal to fertilize after aerating, but not required.

3. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Procut, take a look at the grass he is dealing with and where he is geographically. Fall is not the best time to aerate warm season grasses. Aeration should be done when the turf is actively growing, not when it is about to go dormant. Mid-summer is a fine time to aerate warm season turf IF the site is irrigated or you've been getting adequate rainfall.

After an aeration, you can topdress or fertilize or both. Nothing is required, but anything you do will have a better result than doing it without aeration. You can leave the plugs alone to break down on their own, or you can run a drag mat over the lawn and break them up. You can sweep them up, too. I do that occasionally and use the plugs to smooth out bumps in the yard. They make great fill, since they have exactly the same soil blend as the surrounding soil.

4. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

how long does it take to aerate this size of an area, fert, and clean-up?