1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

best time of year to remove tree stakes

Discussion in 'Fertilizers, Pesticides and Diseases' started by Guest, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

IMO now is the time, the sooner the better!!! also just my .02, dont get any more trees that need a brace or a stake, poor practice,IMO

2. Guest

Guest Guest

so are you saying that you had some broken trees and/ just up rooted??? is the brace damage worse than the laying over damage??? and is there a long term effect that you would speculate on

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I don't recall anybody ever telling me if there's a better time of year to remove tree stakes on "deciduous" trees. I tell folks to wait until the leaves fall (late fall)....this way there is less wind resistance. Am I wrong or what? (and I don't mean trees that obviously need the stakes out a.s.a.p.) What do you think? thanx

4. Guest

Guest Guest

What.....nobody wants to respond & take a chance? (keep in mind that trees with a full set of leaves have much more wind resistance than trees with no leaves) hint hint :laugh: rscvp, anyone???

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Yesterday, we had 60 - 70 mph winds all day long. 15,000 homes lost electricity in the Des Moines area. Trees down, etc. When to remove tree stakes & guy wires was never part of my college education, but it should have been. It's just common sence to wait until the foliage drops before removing tree stakes on new plantings. Thanks.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi treegal -- I haven't seen any staked trees down since Sunday. It's mostly limbs broken off mature trees. Most folks have not yet cleaned up the mess cause they work during the week. Should be nice weather here this coming weekend, so people will have a chance to get out in their yards.

We had the coldest temp so far this fall last night (23 degrees), so trees like mulberries dropeed all their leaves within hours today. That's autumn in the Midwest. :laugh:

Thanks for the reply treegal :waving:

7. Guest

Guest Guest