Best time to advertise in New Jersey????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FOX8701, Dec 26, 2009.

1. FOX8701

FOX8701 LawnSite Member

Hello, I'm new to this website, so i'll start off by introducing myself, i'm Dennis, I have a small lawn business that i'm looking to progress this year. I work full time with my local township, but looking to boost my income with my business and enjoy doing it.

So my question is, I have made doorhangers w/ rubberbands attached for easy placing on neighborhood front doors. When would be the best prime time to start walking around to distribute them? I know there are many threads on here that say about february, but isn't that just a bit to early? I know that the callback-success rate of going door-to-door isn't quite the best, but i also don't want to waste all the marketing and having no new accounts, which is everyones bad nightmare.

I don't mind walking around with a few friends, in fact i may actually lose a few pounds in the proces.s, LOL. Any other options regarding ways to adverrtise? I plan on placing an ad in the local churches bulletin and local town paper and in supermarkets etc. Problem is i don't have insurance for the business yet being i only have 9 lawns as of now. Do you think this will be a problem without insurance? If customers pay by cash it shouldn't be a problem right?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  2. jeffslawnservice

jeffslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Try mid February and then again early to mid March. Hit the same area twice I did that last year and had a decent return on leads. But I think the best way to get work is word of mouth. I have gotten about 95% or my work through word of mouth. Best of luck to you this year.

3. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

all year round! dont stop til you get enough.... c'mon

4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

I would strongly advise you to get insurance.

5. FOX8701

FOX8701 LawnSite Member

of course you can never have enough advertising.. heh.

and i know many people who don't use insurance, which i know isn't a good thing, but for a small side business is it really worth the money for ten-twenty lawns?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  6. TSB group

TSB group LawnSite Member

Its worth the money for the first person that gets hurt!

7. NAH your right. you don't need no stinking insurance.

8. FOX8701

FOX8701 LawnSite Member

Are you being sarcastic?

Cause i looked into insurance, and for $2600. a year i think i'll take the chance like everyone else seems to do

9. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

are you an actual business or just a name and number ?

insurance in NJ is a must mofos are sue happy around here lol

10. FOX8701

FOX8701 LawnSite Member

that i know, but i wouldn't consider myself a full business quite yet, but i'm trying to head into that direction to be self sufficient.