1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best time to apply pesticides to fruit trees?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by qserve, May 20, 2008.

1. qserve

qserve LawnSite Member

I'm looking for input on the correct timing of preventive pesticide application for small residential fruit trees. Multiple applications starting at small leaf stage and every few weeks therafter is what I've been reading so far. Some locals say they have good luck with a single app. following blossom dropoff. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Just getting started in NW Ia.:walking:
  2. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to contact your local Ag University (They likely have a website) as they will have the awnsers you need that are very dependant on the type of fruit trees you plan to spray.

A typical spray used has Captan, Sevin and Malathion combined,(home orchard fruit spray) and must be sprayed very shortly after it is mixed, as the Captan and Sevin break down quickly in most types of water.

Timing is Critical for WHEN, and your local experts (University) will know exactly.

3. qserve

qserve LawnSite Member

Thank you! I'll check that out
  4. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

You are Welcome. :usflag:

5. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

I usually spray as soon as insect begin to appear and again in 30 days
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Cornell, Michigan State and Washington state have great fruit spraying recommendations. (Iowa State, too.) However it is a lot of work and involves a lot of sprays to do the job right. Take a look at the Michigan State Fruit newsletter for May 20.
  7. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

A great product is "Bonide" Read the label. Usually 10-14 days apart up to two weeks prior harvest. Just go by a good garden center and find it. This is for apples, cherry, peach etc.
  8. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

Are you talking about insecticides or fungicides? Borers or scale? Lots of stuff to consider, especially if the fruit is going to be eaten. The stuff I shoot on ornamental Kwanzans might not be okay for Bings.