Best time to approach new prospects?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CP Estates, Feb 23, 2006.

1. CP Estates

CP Estates LawnSite Member
    from North

When is the best time of year? I'm upper NY State so we get going in April. Is it at the end of the previous season or before the new one? Obviously your trying to "acquire" business from competition so is it too late to make cold calls this time of year?

2. CP Estates

from North

3. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

Never too early to pass out flyers. I started yesterday. My partner is out their today. I will go out again on Monday. Pick an area you like, and continue hitting it with flyers.

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

When ever I do snow in the winter, I always sell other services to my clients. I also keep business cards in my truck so when I am going to a supermarket that has a bulletin board, I ALWAYS put a few cards up! I would say starting now would not be a bad idea. Target a few neighboorhoods you would like to work in or a few that you already have accounts in. Try and get your accounts as close together as possible to save on travel time but If you should get a few a bit apart, I still take them as it gets my name out into a bit larger of a crowd! JMO

5. CP Estates

from North

I'm actually hoping / planning to focus on my area of 2 acre lots. There are about 100 of them plus a small number of large homes locally. My thought is to get 15 - 20 and service the hell out of them. As they are all neighbors, my thought is to pick up 100 small potted tulips and when I knock on their door, give them a little "taste of spring" along with my flyer.:)

6. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

It is never too early or too late to look for work. I am constantly looking for new accounts all year long. But this time of the year is the best for me. Between now and mid-April is when we pick-up the most new clients.

7. CP Estates

from North

That's sort of what I though sgallaher, but what I'm really wondering is how this time of year works with getting customers to switch providers from who they might have been with last year and who they have probably already assumed whould be back for 2006? Does that make any sense?

8. the ace

the ace LawnSite Member
    from usa

I push flyers all year long, offering different services for that particular time of year. Even though I prefer the full service customer, you sometimes just have to get the money from where ever you can. As for mowing contracts I hit it hard from January to the end of March but if I don't need any more mowing contracts I push top dressing, over seeding, clean-ups etc. One thing I started doing was a monthly mailer to my regular customers offering yard maintenance for that particular month, this has generated extra income from services that my customers otherwise may never have considered.