Best time to attack Quackgrass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Mar 23, 2010.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

When would be the optimum time of year to go after Quackgrass in a KBG lawn here in the Upper Midwest? Using Certainty.

I plan to treat 1k sq ft or so (front lawn) for a customer who's lawn has been infiltrated with the stuff. Too much to dig out.
    I have made this customer fully aware of the ramifications of using Certainty on his lawn (namely loss of fescue). He says fine.

2. Young Bros

Young Bros LawnSite Senior Member

We have a couple customers we sold certainty apps. I told we should do a core/seed afterwards. I plan on hitting them as soon as the quackgrass and tall fescue is green and growing. Then a 2nd app 2 weeks later. My rep at agruim said that should work.

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Thanks Young. I DID NOT advise my customer we would aerate/overseed as part of this app. He would never go for it. I just made darned sure that he knew his lawn would look like crap for a bit until the KBG fills in.

4. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

My advice would be to wait until May sometime when after the first flush of growth. I would also tell him that a followup application might be needed next spring. Also, you should fertilize the lawn before you spray and about 4 weeks later to promote the KBG to fill in the bare spots. Also, mix some iron with the Certainty mix, it stains the grass a little bit so it doesn't look so bad. How are you going to apply this, a backpack with a flat fan nozzle on the wand.

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Yep, backpack.

6. FdLLawnMan

Have you ever used it before? It is a great product but calibration and application coverage is critical.

7. Young Bros

This will be my first time using too. Any tips FdL would help. I was planning on 2 apps 2 weeks apart with a shurflo electric backpack.

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

I too have never used it. Looks like as per the label, need to be using 2 gal water/K. Higher vol of h20 with the AI. I have my walking speed down with my shurflo to do 1 gal/K. Looks like I'll need to practice halving my speed.

9. Young Bros

We have 2 tanks on our GMC so we could mix it up in there if a t-jet gun would work better.

10. FdLLawnMan

Ok. I have used for tree years now. It works very well on tall fescue, ok on quackgrass. You will probably have to hit the quackgrass two years in a row to get rid of it and then do followups every 2nd or third year. Use the correct amount of sticker and get your calibration down to within 10%. I highly recommend using flat fans on your backpack. The normal adjustable nozzles are way to variable. It will wipe out any fescues in the lawn and really ding the KBG and rye grass's. The lawns cannot be under ant drought stress or you cannot apply it. I always had the best results in the fall but late spring worked ok. It is a great product but expensive. You need to charge accordingly to cover your costs and time. Also, do not mix more than you need.