best time to buy out another company

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smarino21, Jul 26, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

best time to buy out another company spring or fall,

Has anyone bought out another company with out any upfront money, or maybe just like 5%. I wanna buy a company out but dont wanna propos anything right now because i just invested alota money in another business. Let me know your out take on this.

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The best time to buy out another company is when the price is right and you can AFFORD it.

From your comments here it doesn't sound like you are in a financial position to consider this..........

Dunno, could be wrong.............

3. smarino21

No One Else?

4. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

The best time would be your quiet season, gives you time to get used to the lie of the land and you will not be going from 0-200miles an hour in your first week, and you say you have another business?? you do not want to be flat out straight away, around here you can buy a business cheaper in the quiet times to ( now)

5. smarino21

you mean winter time (quiet) Also what do you mean str8 away?

It seems like if you buy them out in the mid cutting season you can get more accounts to hold with you . If you send letters out and all that in the beginging of season it seems liek it would be hard for people to sign up and all that. Unless you got all of the people in a contract from the exsisting company then said in the contract that it can be sold to another lco i guess it can work, but contracts for 30$ per week accounts IMO arent worth it really? they cancel or dont pay a late fee your gonna go to court over 200$ or whatever?

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

First I think you need at least 5 years full-time before you even consider this, not just the money but the experience you need, it really is like you say: The best time to buy it is when the price is right and you have the money, cash works best.

The only other question I have is ... WHY ????
    I mean, it's cool if this excites some, I used to think about it too... But nowadays my company does well enough, I don't need someone else's headache. So if you're thinking about this a lot, it could be a sign you haven't progressed far enough, which is to say that if you're thinking about it, you're not doing as well as you would like and so it's not a good idea for that very reason...
    Man... One day I'm going to get paid for doing these business analyses :laugh:

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

and just think if any of them made sense

8. smarino21

No its the chance to take a big step in business, im doing good now and 5 yrs why is that necessary if you know how to run a business then you know how dont matter 1yr or 30yr.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Because 90 percent of businesses never make it past the 5 year mark, half don't make it past 2 years.

10. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Can you handle being busy as soon as you buy it, some people need time to adjust, you say you have invested in another business ?? does this mean you are fairly busy now???