Best time to buy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FastMan, Jun 13, 2009.

1. FastMan

FastMan LawnSite Senior Member

I tried doing a search on this topic, but didn't have much luck. What's the best time of year to buy a ZTR? Do they seem to have a pattern of when they offer the biggest discounts?

2. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

are you looking to buy new or used? because i found more used equipment in the early spring and the last weeks of winter before the warmer weather hit

3. FastMan

I'm looking to buy new.

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

They say in the Fall but who wants to look at a new ZTR sitting in the garage all Winter while the warranty ticks away? I think it's a buyers market right now with the economy the way it is. I shopped around at about 4 dealers to make sure the price was consistent before buying local. I am willing to pay a bit more local but they have always been eager to meet others prices. They make their money on me after the sale with service, parts, etc.

5. FastMan

Do they commonly run advertised specials in the fall, or is the theory you just have better bargaining power at that time of year? I don't mind the sitting collecting dust over the winter. I figure a 2 year warrenty will consist of 2 full cutting seasons and 2 full winters, no matter when I buy it. My bigger concern is the cost of money, having it wrapped up in a piece of metal for 6 months when I could have it parked in the market making money for me. But for a good enough deal I'd consider it.

6. tacoma200

Just hear say on the new ones though I have seen promotions late in the year. On used equipment many dealers buy in the Fall/Winter and hold them till Spring. Some great deals to be had on used equipment at the end of the season for sure.

7. turfbuilder

turfbuilder LawnSite Senior Member
    from WI

I seem to get my best deals in Feb. Business is usually slow for lawn equipment
    so they tend to deal better unless they are selling a lot of snow removal equipment. :usflag:

8. tacoma200

They are definitely are not selling snow removal equipment here. I sub out snow removal and haven't had a bill in 3 years.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Usually it's when I have the cash.