1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Time To Buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chase, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Chase

Chase LawnSite Member

I have tried searching for this but for some reason everytime I do the search has an error. Anyway, I was just wondering when the best time is to purchase new equipment. Now, at the end of the season? or in early spring before the season? When do dealers have the best deals and rates?
    Thanks in advance.
  2. mpblass

mpblass LawnSite Member

I usually get the best deals in the off season on the left-over models.
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'll always buy my mowers from late August until now.

Usually the companys have 0% interest until next spring, at which time you can either pay it off if you have enough snow in the winter, or my bank will then loan me the money for 90 days or 6 months, however long I need to pay it off.

If you wait until spring, then the dealers have all new stuff that supposedly everyone and their brother want, so they're going to try to get top price. Unless you've got a good dealer and knows you're going to be back again.
  4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Out here the best deals are usually in Jan/Feb for new stuff. Used is generally October/November. Guys will dump their stuff for extra Christmas cash with the intent of buying new the following year when new models come out. Best would be to buy close out models. Parts will still be avail and the dealers already have worked on some of them. When we would get new stuff and it did need service it always seemed to take a little longer becasue the mechanic needed to get familar with the new equipment. jm.02
  5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The best time to buy new equipment is December. Right before Xmas. The dealers are usually discounting stuff at 20% or more in December so they can get rid of inventory to make room for the new model year equipment.

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

7. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

As of October 3rd, Wright has some new deal where you not only wait until April 1 to make the first payment, but i believe most dealers are selling them a WHOLE lot cheaper. We drove 45 minutes away to buy our Stander because we ended up saving 800 by choosing this dealer.
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Mowers now, snowblowers not now, backpack blowers never deal.
  9. Freshcut Lawn Care

Freshcut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Oct. - Dec. (generally) :rolleyes: This is when there is less demand from guys like us and also when they are gearing up for their winter products.

They also don't want this stuff laying around all winter taking up space! The dealers are trying to unload this seasons left over equipment; as they do not want to pay for this overhead all winter!

Some dealers are better to deal with than others too...I guess it all depends on their own financial situation and the arrangements they have with their suppliers!

From a personal perspective, I find my local Exmark dealer the best guy to deal with!

He is a great guy and easy to deal with...plus he is very supportive whenever I need information, parts or repairs! :cool:

He goes out of his way to personally show you how do small stuff, like changing belts, putting the vac system on and off once he has installed it, etc.

He never charges me for the smaller things, and always makes himself available even when I have phoned on the rare occassion; which I greatly appreciate!

I also find their support system from Head Office to be Very Good as well.

And no I don't work for Exmark, just appreciate their products and service I guess!

Good Luck in your search!

10. Mycannon

Mycannon LawnSite Member

Aug. though Jan.