Best time to get rid of Bahia?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by beaver29, Dec 17, 2006.

1. beaver29

beaver29 LawnSite Senior Member

I have one lawn that has a few spots of Bahia in a yard that is primairly Bermuda grass. When is the best time to try to get rid of this Bahia and let the Bermuda take over? Also what do I use to rid this bahia grass?

Thanks Steve,

2. gpenny

gpenny LawnSite Member

Just saw your post. The herbicide of choice is Manor (Cimmarron is cheaper version, exact same ingredients.). Need to apply when Bahia is actively growing. When used as listed will not harm other warm season grasses. I have had great success in totally eliminating Bahia from my lawns. Best time to spray is May to August. May have less impact after Bahia is producing seed heads, however, I have gotten good results as late as early September.

3. beaver29

beaver29 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you think I will have to resod or will the Bermuda just take over on its own? Thanks for the advise gpenny!

4. gpenny

gpenny LawnSite Member

If you have Bermuda present it will fill in. I have seen situations where it was a 50/50 combo of Bermuda and Bahia and the Bermuda has completely taken over. If there are large areas of Bahia with no Bermuda presence , then seeding with an improved variety of Bermuda is recommended. The earlier in the summer you spray, then the more chance the Bermuda will have to fill in.