1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best time to market - residential.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jlouki01, Dec 10, 2007.

1. jlouki01

jlouki01 LawnSite Senior Member

I know this topic has been beat to death but I want some fresh opinions.

I have used multiple methods but have not done it long enough to know what exactly is working and what isn't.

I like door hangers but when is the best time to get them out?
  2. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

Spring time, Jeezz, I must be a marketing guinus! I can't belive I was the first one to answer:dizzy::laugh:
  3. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have some direct mail letters going out anytime. A couples new customers will pay for the cost and I will be beating my name into everyone elses heads.
  4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

5. Gator Lawn

Gator Lawn LawnSite Member

All year. .
  6. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

or all year. ha! im actually doing advertising now! but for just mowin id stil say feb thru the season. winter probly not unless your in florida.
  7. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I agree....all year long is the best way. Keep your name out there and you will see your numbers increase.
  8. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

i advertise year round, but heavily in late march
  9. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

i think im goin to try a yellow pages ad. its not as expensive as i thought.
  10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

This is one of those questions where the correct answer can vary quite a bit from one region to the other. In warmer climates, you can probably get at least some decent results in laying door hangers or flyers even in the winter. But in my experience, that's not true of colder climates.

Several years ago I used to put out flyers at several times throughout the year - including the winter. In the spring (March) I found I'd get a call for every 30 or so flyers we put out. In the summer, it was 1 call for every 50 we put out. In the fall, maybe one call for every 70. But in the winter it was more like 1 call for every 500 we'd put out. Just nobody's interested in landscaping or maintenance during the winter months around here. That became evident, real quickly. So eventually I stopped waisting my time during the winter.

The best time to market depends on what exactly you are marketing too. For instance, I find a lot of customers start planning their landscape design/build projects as early as December and January. We've been working on several bids I am almost sure we'll get next spring. Just in the design stages now. But this really starts to increase in February, around here. All of the big landscaping expo shows are set in February. And come March, we're always more swamped than we can handle. But that's just for design/build stuff.

For basic maintenance & lawn care stuff, I'd say it's more like late March to May when we really start getting good response for that kind of stuff.

But again, this is all relatively regional, I think.