Best time to radically prune Indian Hawthornes?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Green Pastures, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I've got a customer how had a bed full of Indian Hawthornes that are getting huge. They were already flowing outside the borders of the beds when I took over the job.

In order to get them back under control I'm going to have to trim most if not all of the foliage off the plant.

Just wondering if now is the best time to do this while the plant is somewhat dormant or if I should wait till early spring when everything starts to grow again.

When?

Thanks........ :cool2:

2. jaguar4000

jaguar4000 LawnSite Member

Probably depends alot on your location as far as cold weather goes. Here in Florida I would say go ahead and go for it. I would let customer know that there is a possibility that a few may not make it and go ahead and give them repalcement price to cover yourself. If they are healthy Indians you should be ok though. good luck.

3. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

Here is the pruning calendar fro virginia tech. http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/nursery/430-462/430-462.html

If the customer does not care about flowering, I would do them now. If they want to see flowers this spring, wait until after flowering, then prune back about 1/3 of plant.

4. mommacutz

mommacutz LawnSite Member

Hi, thanks for the website we are trying to move to more landscaping as opposed to just lawn care. This will be very helpful.

5. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I wait till after they bloom in the spring

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

IMO the best time for severe pruning is after freezing weather and right before the spring rush of growth. This reduces cold damage and gives you the most benefit of the the peak growth period before summer stress.

7. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I agree completely.

8. Jacobsjet

Jacobsjet LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I agree. Prune 1/3 after flowering and fertilize with nitrogen to encourage new growth. 21-0-0 lawn fertilizer works well.

9. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

Late winter (determined by your area)

10. Jacobsjet

Jacobsjet LawnSite Member
    from Texas

We prune them after they flower in the spring. Normally they don't require alot of pruning anyway. I believe that pruning in the winter will cut off the spring buds. (my opinion). The biggest problem we have with them down here (hi humidity) is fungal leaf spot. These are just my thoughts.