1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best time to water lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The mayor, Jun 25, 2005.

1. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I was talking to a lco yesterday with all the dry weather. Some of the people are watering there lawns. I always thought the best time to water was at dusk or after the sun went down. The other guy said the best time was in the early morning. He was told that, but didn't remember why. Anybody have a opinon on the subject. When is the best time. Am I all wet on watering at night.
  2. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

5AM is the best time. If you water in the early evening the moisture overnight can promote fungus among other things.
  3. southernsprayguy

southernsprayguy LawnSite Member

I agree. Mayor, you may want to try watering about 2 hours before sunrise.
  4. The mayor

Thanks. I like the thinking about the fungus. I will be making the switch.
  5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Yep...remeber the movie CaddyShack? When did they water the golf course...AM. :blob3:
  6. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

Can't argue with that.

I prefer early morning too. I still can't get over how many people I see watering at 2:00 in the afternoon. Part of me wants to tell them to stop and part of me just wants to run through the sprinkler a few times. :)
  7. The mayor

Highgrass, what about happy gilmore. 9:20 at night.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't matter now what time of the day to water a lawn in my town. They just imposed water restrictions yesterday.
  9. kory landscaping

kory landscaping LawnSite Member

We have our customer water in the evening, if you keep up on your fertilizing programs, then fungus will not be a problem. Water gets down into the roots faster when watering at night. When you water during the morning the sun evaporates it within hours. I have water for 25 years in the evening and have no problems. I guess to each his own opinion.

Kory Landscaping
  10. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Kory youre way off.....