best time?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by chopsticks33, Jun 27, 2006.

1. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

when do you think the best time to water is?? I've heard both ways...if you water in the middle of the day, the water just burns off, but if you water at night, the grass can get mold. So I guess the question is: morning, middle of day, evening, or night?

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Morning...

3. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Ditto that.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The earlier in the morning, the better. There exists some argument between the times, but somewhere around 3-5am but no later than 6am.

I myself am not a morning person but I only water when it gets really bad, then I do it once real good, and I do this in the evening because it takes 3 days to water my acre lot one time... I watered it this way 3 times in the preceding drought we had (so maybe once / month, for 2 hours / section).

NEVER water in the middle of the day, that's as dumb as full throttle acceleration up a STEEP hill.

6. PastyWhite

PastyWhite LawnSite Member
    from Jax, FL

Morning. My sprinklers start at 4 and are done by 6:30 or 7:00.

7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

A local lawn expert on the radio said that Kansas University or Kansas State can't remember which one has done testing and that it is best to water in the middle of the day. It cools down the grass and the roots go deeper into the ground than watering at other times.

Makes sense I mean I would want to get water when I am the thirstiest. Like all long held beliefs it will take a long time of hearing it is best to water during the hot part of the day before people will switch.

8. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Middle of the day may be best for the grass.... but it is a terrible waste of water.

9. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Only 10% of the water is used for growth. The other 90% is used to cool the grass. So if you water in the middle of the day, you allow the grass to get hot. If you water early in the morning you allow the plant to regulate it's own temperature before it becomes overheated. And the grass receives more useable moisture as more water soaks in and is absorbed by the plant when it is cooler. By watering at midday, a lot of that moisture evaporates before the plant can use it.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

We may have had a LOT of rain here lately, but drought-wise we're not out of the woods yet. And once the water is shut off, the heat from the sun steams what is left and that isn't exactly good, either.

DJ's should play music, not discuss lawn watering tech.