Best timing for Cold Calls

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by S&M Lawn Care, Feb 5, 2007.

1. S&M Lawn Care

S&M Lawn Care LawnSite Member

When is the best time to make cold calls? Around now or earlier? Or should i wait a little bit? I live in Wisconsin and I would like to wait for the perfect time to start cold calls. Is the earlier the better? Please what would you guys suggest?
  2. ScagBoy09

ScagBoy09 LawnSite Member

I like to wait a little longer closer to spring time(mid-march). This way my customers actually have their yard on their mind, not the 5 inches of snow on the ground. Just my two cents.
  3. billsdepot

billsdepot LawnSite Member

I usually wait until about one month before I begin lawn cutting.
  4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

year round.. when i used to do a lot of condo work i always called every month for at least 3 months after the contract is awarded you'd be surprised how many condos/hoa's were unhappy with their provider and wanted to switch....
  5. Chadman

Chadman LawnSite Member

Would this also include Mailings? Or would you mail now. I was under impression to mail now.

Chad's Lawn Service
  6. thelawnboss

thelawnboss LawnSite Member

I am just curious here, Do you tend to get very good results from cold calling? I have never done this before, but i know how much i hate people calling me with stuff like this. Please do not take that the wrong way as i am all for whatever works, and if you guys really are getting good results, i may be interested in trying it. I just dont know of anyone around me that really does cold call.

I do see alot from mailing stuff, tends to work best if you can drop names of a neighbor or bigger commercial account near them. Now i know this takes a little more time to customize letters but i have seen great results from this.
  7. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

8. thelawnboss

thelawnboss LawnSite Member

i guess i wouldnt really know, i dont tend to get too many of those calls, i am still pretty small though.

i think i would look at it a little different only because the supplier calling to make contact is not asking for your signed commitment, not much diff. i know but still different. They are just saying "hey we are here if you need us" where the other would seem to be , "i know you dont know us but we want you to commit NOW to giving us money every month."

just trying to think more like a customer i guess...maybe i am the only one thinking this way.

like i said i am not opposed to doing it myself, but i would just want to know that some people are having success with it.
  9. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, it is different I just wanted to know what you thought.

I am the same way. But a few years back I heard the largest company in my area used telemarketers and how it developed leads for them. Never found out if it were true or not.
  10. Lawnmasters

Lawnmasters LawnSite Member

The true meaning of the term "cold calling" refers to going door to door. Calling on the phone is telemarketing. Two different things. If you have the attitude that you don't like people calling on you to sell you stuff.....don't even waste your time trying to sell someone your service or products, you will fail. If you can't believe in yourself and your product your prospect will see through you.

Just my 27yrs of selling experience speaking, my opinion. If you want new customers cheaply, learn to do it, it works.