Best tires for traction for Snapper Hydro WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescape, Jan 23, 2002.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I have posted before, trying to reduce the divots caused by my Snapper 48" hydro, with a 23 hp engine.

I'm noticing that some manufacturers, such as Scag, offer taller & wider tires & wheels that I believe would fit on the Snapper. I am wondering if switching to a wider tire would improve traction, thus reducing divots? Or would it make the situation worse?

I think I may need to switch to a wider tire as I believe the 23 hp engine is a bit too heavy for the standard 16 x 6.5 inch tires. I am considering the Scag 18 x 8.5 wheel & tire.

Any help would be appreciated, I'd like to get that Snapper in good shape before Spring, or it has to be sold.
  2. Some of the things you comment about seem contradictory.
    If you increase traction, you'll increase the divots.
    If you go to larger diameter tires I'd think it would be worse due to higher speeds.

Dico sells a relatively smooth tread, round shouldered tire that may help.

But I don't think it's all in the tires. What's the tire pressure?
    Does it just divot on 180 degree turns or every time you make the slightest correction?
    Are you pulling a sulkey? What kind?

I've never owned one of these, but I almost bought one. I test drove it a lot. I liked that instant forward/reverse.
    Isn't there an adjustment to desentisize the controls?

3. naturescape

Re: Some of the things you comment about seem contradictory.
    If you increase traction, you'll increase the divots.

I thought traction would improve the situation. I am getting divots because the tire(s) are slipping when I make a turn. You can actually see the tire slip when turning, and they are new (aggressive tread) turf masters. If I bring the machine to complete neutral and then slowly turn, the tires will still slip.

I am running a Proslide, and the machine does slip less when I'm not on it, but it still slips enough to leave a major mark. It's not worth stepping off of the Proslide.

It is worst on 180 turns, but will also mark on lesser turns. I have tried tire pressures from 12 - 25. Maybe I have to go under 10?
  4. I think I'm getting the picture.

Yeah, you might try lower pressure.

A WB's tires can get pretty low before it affects the cut.

5. jay warner

jay warner LawnSite Member
    from sc

I run Snapper WB's, my 61 only has 22hp. Yours sounds like a Dragster to me. All of mine spin the tires too if they are jammed wide open, which in my opinion is the only way to run them. However I've learned to slow down at the end of a run and baby the turn and usually it's ok. Now on wet grass, always a problem. But my buddies say they have the same propblem even on other WB's. I've run Z's and absolutely hate them even on larger accounts. To heavy, ruts even with varied patterns. WB's rule. Stick with the Snapper they get better each year. What year model is yours, specs?
  6. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Ive purchased a new 52 snapper back in 93,ive never had a problem with it slipping. Mine has the 16hp Vanguard engine which is lighter but it seems to me more weight would work ever better. And i cut alot of very steep hills,i run the turf saver tires and get great traction,i believe your tire pressure might be a factor plus if your running 6,5mph and turn in tight spots could also cause a problem. Ive also got the Loop steering,best system on the market tracks stright and easy on the hands, How long have you been using walkbehinds? Maybe you just haven't got the hang of it yet. When you get to the end of cut back up and then turn i do this sometimes on my Z-Master to avoid any divots. Marks Mowing Service
  7. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I had a similar problem with a 52 Lesco w 17 elec start.
    I fixed the problem by changing to a 14 pull start Kawi.
    If you have a 23 on a 48. TOO much weight. Most wb with large
    engines are wider. The 52 Scag has 2 widths 1 for up to 17,
    and one for the 23 hp. The larger is 5 in wider spreds the weight out.
  8. naturescape

I've been running WBs since 1986. Yes, 1986. Hydros for the last 3 - 4 years. My old Scag hydro never left divots when used at a reasonable speed.

I think you're absolutely right. I will probably switch to 18 x 8.5s in the next couple of weeks, and have a feeling (hope) everything will be ok. I think those 6.5s are just too narrow to handle all that weight.

I know a lot of people on Lawnsite like the fact that the Snapper WB has no feel for neutral on the steering. Maybe I'll like it too if the machine has the traction it needs.

I still want all the input I can get before I invest in a new set of tires and rims, I know I'm not gonna get my money back if it's the wrong thing to do.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Wide tires with "turf saver" tread work best. My 32" has a narrow tire set-up and it leaves divots on every turn even if I go real slow. My bigger wb's with wider tires rarely ever leave a mark even at higher speed turns.