Best tires for trailer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cleve, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

I use a 16 ft. open trailer for my equipment that has dual axles. It still has the original tires that came on it. I'm not too worried around town and in the neighborhoods but sometimes I worry when traveling on the freeways at high speeds.
    I just don't trust the tires supplied by most trailer manufacturers as being the "best".
    Are there any "heavy-duty" or premium tires for trailer use? I have heard that you shouldn't use auto tires or radial tires on trailers. Is this true?
    Thanks for any help.
    Cleve.

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

do a search, there was a thread on this subject in the last month. I recall someone saying that there are special tires for trailers.

MATT

3. big james

big james Banned
    from texas

I have run both bias ply and radials on my 16 foot ,I have never had any trouble out of either kind ,but I don't spend a lot of time on hiway at high speed ,I do suggest a tire with a strong sidewall if you are hauling a lot of wight ,I haul two Exmark lazer -z h.p.'s around and it;s hard on those tires when I turn ,looks like they are going to roll off the rim when backing up .I am currently running BF Goodrich radials .

4. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

your car runs on radial tires ,why not the trailer? unless you're hauling around skid steer loaders and tons of weight i wouldn't worry too much about it.i use up my old car tires on my trailer all the time and do highway speeds.i carry at least 3-3500 lbs of weght (trailer included) and the trailer tracks straight .i have also hauled over 8500 lbs on my car trailer with regular car radial tires on a 800 mile round trip.trailer tires do have a stiffer sidewall (this will help to prevent sway at speed)and are made to haul a little bit heavier load,but for aroound town and light weight i'd go with regular car radials.

5. I run HD 8 ply trailer tires on all trailers.

They run pretty close to the cheapest car tires I could buy. Plus they will take more of the abuse on the tandem axles trailers.

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

YEs tires can matter. My last visit to Goodyear I had 2 tires that needed replacing, they installed GoodYear Decathlon's, not a trailer tire. The sidewall blew out due to not being able to handle the load. Remember, you car tires are made to distrubute the weight over 4 tires, the trailer has all the weight on two/four, so putting car tires on a trailer would not be a good practice.

Here is a link to the best trailer tires made by goodyear:

http://www.goodyeartires.com/catalog/products/other/marathonsize.html

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I use Carlille trailer tires. They have several years on my 18' tandam.

8. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

Thanks for the replies.
    Around town I know that most any tire would probably be O.K. but on the freeway and at high speed I just want to know I have the best tire on the trailer when it has $15,000+ worth of equipment on it.
    Cleve.