Best tool for busting-up large rocks?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Squidink, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Squidink

Squidink LawnSite Member

When dealing with a lawn full of large (2' diameter, maybe 4-6" deep) rocks buried a few inches under the topsoil, what's the best tool to use to break-up the rocks for removal, assuming it's too difficult to get underneath?

Around the home, near the foundation, I'm also finding large chunks of concrete that are quite difficult to get under for removal. Same tool would help, I suppose.

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

a rotary hammer

3. Pflat1

Pflat1 LawnSite Member

Air chisel

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

this is what will do it

demo_hammer.jpg

5. mark_the_psycho

mark_the_psycho LawnSite Member

Dynamite...

6. mark_the_psycho

mark_the_psycho LawnSite Member

Seriously, I just use a roto-tiller for rocks, it spits them onto the surface, while my minions follow me around collecting them. As for the concrete, you need an air chisel.

7. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

The best tool I have by far is a power box rake.
    My compact utility tractor powers this rake via the p.t.o. and I have pulled rocks the size of large car tires out of the soil.
    My unit is a T-5, I have over 800 hours on it through the most horrid conditions possible and have lost only one, yes one, tine.
    The tractors' loader will only pick up 800 pounds and I have removed rocks larger than this with the power box rake.
    Made by Glen-Mac, a great implement but starting to get pricey.
    What I paid under $6K for delivered is well over $8K now + delivery charges.