best track loader

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by kreft, Mar 19, 2007.

1. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

i ben looking for a good track loader but havent found one yet

whats the best for you

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

ASV is a pretty nice unit and plenty of models to handle what you need. I have ran the RC-80 a bunch of times real slick. They even have a turf edition that won't tear up grass and will grip even when wet
  3. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you going to use it for?

How much do you want to spend?

New or used?

Do you have a controls preference?

What size machine are you looking for?

What dealers do you have in your area?

What do you mean by you "haven't found one yet"?

There are too many choices out there that you need to figure out before you purchase anything. Do some searches on here. There are a boatload of threads about CTL's (I do assume you mean compact track loaders?) Here's a rescent one:

There are probably around 10 different makes of CTL's and who knows how many different models, so you need to narrow it down by doing some research and trying out some demos. You can find some good info and many opinions on here, but you need to be more specific about what your needs are.
  4. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go for the one in my area that you can get parts for quick and easy, along with descent resale value, a place that knows how to work on them if you cannot do it yourself, and not a super expensive purchase price. I think for most areas Case,Deere, New Holland, Bobcat, or Cat would fit the bill. Around my area Cat would be a good over an hour to get parts for though even though I love Cat equipment the most of all these.
  5. Fieldman12

One thing you may want to consider is they are a high maintenance machine compared to a skid steer and most of the time cost allot more up front. The Cats though I have not been around them much but heard require some time on the track maintenance. You will be able to run longer around the year in worse conditions. Not sure what you would be using one for and if you already have the business may also be a deciding factor. I would like to have a CTL/MTL but at this time it is not justified for me. I was also wondering if you mean a skid steer built with tracks or an old crawler loader?
  6. Fieldman12

Iron planet usually has some on there cheap (cats) but in my opinion I would not touch a machine if I could not look at it and at least use it for a day. I dont think you could give it to me cheap enough.
  7. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

i think i will go with the nh L185 with 78hp
    what attachments should i get (i have a land clearing buisness)
  8. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

For the small spaces the RC-30 works well too. I did some work picking up tree branches for a tree service and was pleased with the perfoamance. Also without a load it doesn't tear up grass but grab a heavy stump and it will when you turn tight. I don't see many of them but that company had theirs for 3 years without a problem. The track rollers seemed to be some kind of plastic, though.
  9. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Sounds good... but the L185 is a wheeled machine...
  10. SinjonAssociates

SinjonAssociates LawnSite Member