Best tractor for $3000-4000 4 acres to cut

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by rmerrell, Jul 30, 2006.

1. rmerrell

rmerrell LawnSite Member
    from Novi Mi

All right guys and experts, I need some help.
    What is the best yard tractor? I would apprecitate your opinons
    on mowing deck design, frame design, trans type and engine.
    I had a Case that served me well for 20 years. Time for a new one.
    Price range $3000-$4000
    Need 42 to 50" deck
    Cutting 4 acres
    some hills, and big trees, no need for zero turn.
    No scapling, need a good design here.
  2. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

Ford 8N with sherman trans and 5 foot howse Bushhog...12 V convesion, electronic for us and parts are easy to come by. Bepending on who you get from you should have $$ left over.
    Hope this helps.
  3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Or same 8N with a belly or 3 point finish mower. Get a 3 point blade and a set of chains to plow snow and grade gravel driveway (if needed.)

Or a cub cadet or John deere X300 series.
  4. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

What type of grass is this that you are mowing? Is it an established lawn or field? I would think that you would need much more that a 42" mowing deck. That will take you forever I would think. I mow 5 field acres (with tall grass) with my 5 foot deck mower and it takes nearly 8 hours. I would go with the 8N with the 12V conversion for sure. It is the best tractor for the money. Parts are cheap and easy to find. You will be able to do most of the work yourself because they are really easy to work on. I have wanted one for a long while. Just the thought of a tractor almost 60 years old being that reliable is just amazing to me.
  5. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I also second the Ford 8N idea. But also consider a Massey Ferguson TO-30 or MF-35 model with the Continental gas engine. Also very easy to work on and just about as cheap as the Ford and can be had for around the same price range.

As for a mower a 5' Woods 3 pt. finish mower would be my suggestion. They are tough as nails and I've heard of many people owning Woods mowers that are 30+ years old and it only requiring regular greasing and blade sharpening. I even heard of one that only needed one belt changed in its span of 30 years.