1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Best tractor/ZTR for slope

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by milchuck, Sep 4, 2005.

1. milchuck

milchuck LawnSite Member

Hello, new guy here and stumbled across this site while researching mowers. I have 1.2 acres and my old John Deere 180 has about had it. Since I am looking for a new mower, I want to find something that can handle a 1/3 acre sloping grade. It's not too bad (not sure on degree slope) but I won't risk mowing it on the JD180 (although my brother-in-law did). I really don't want to spend over $3000 or so and I have been eyeing the Cub Cadet ZTR with the 50" cut. It seems to have a wide profile which should mean a lower center of gravity and be less likely to tip (i.e. safer). Any ideas? Thanks

2. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

With 3000$ thats a tight budget i would look into lesco walkbehinds becouse they come pretty cheap

3. milchuck

milchuck LawnSite Member

The Cub Cadet I mentioned is $2799 (on sale) but was wondering about the slope issue with a ZTR mower like this. My ideal solution would be not to walk it...I do that now with a self-propelled mower and its a pain.

4. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

NO NO NO with a walkbehind you dont literally walkbehind it you have a sullky or velke that you ride on it so really its a ride behind

5. MowingInAZ

MowingInAZ LawnSite Member

ZTR's aren't known to handle slopes very well. Many CAN, but sometimes it takes a while. $3000 for a ZTR is cutting (no pun intended) it pretty close price wise for a ZTR. Have you looked like at a John Deere LX series tractor? They could easily handle a grade and are very reliable.

6. milchuck

milchuck LawnSite Member

Ah, see told ya I was new...lol

7. MowingInAZ

MowingInAZ LawnSite Member

8. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree the LT-series will be your best bet. Or find an older JD that has been well taken care of or rebuilt/restored and use that. They will be much more stable on hillsides than a ZTR.

My personal recommendation would be an older 1975 through 1987 JD 200 series (212/214/216) with a 46" deck. Then put the rear wheels on backwards to widen its track, giving you more stability. Remember always mow up and down a slope, not side to side. The 200 series has the bulletproof Kohler K-series cast iron engines that will run forever if you keep the oil and air filter changed. They also have a granny low 1st gear as well as 3 more higher gears. In the condition that you are looking for a good 200 series tractor will run anywhere from $800 to $2000, depending on its mechanical shape, paint and aesthetics, as well as what comes with it as attachments.

If you don't feel comfortable getting an older machine then I would go for a LT-160 at least, and if you can run another $500 up on your budget go for the LT-180. The bigger the machine you can get, the better. There is no substitute for quality and durability.

9. milchuck

milchuck LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info

10. milchuck

milchuck LawnSite Member

Question on the LT. Are they known for handling slopes better than other mowers? I checked out the comparison to ZTR's but all it really said was "terrain friendly" which didn't really tell me alot. Do they have a wider stance or lower center of gravity somehow? Thanks!