1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best tractor/ZTR for slope

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by milchuck, Sep 4, 2005.

1. MowingInAZ

MowingInAZ LawnSite Member

The LT series John Deere's are a normal lawn tractor that can handle slopes. If your going to mow a slope, don't get a ZTR. A Craftsman GT5000 might work, but they are very large and heavy machines. LT's don't really have a lower center of gravity, but they can handle hills better than a ZTR.
  2. milchuck

milchuck LawnSite Member

Understand now, thanks
  3. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

With Deeres financing you cant afford not to go that route
  4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I am will smalltimer on the finding an older JD 200 series. Mine has close to 3500 very hard hours on it. Engine is worn out now. And its on its 3rd trans. But its used to plow snow commerically for the last 7 years. My father plow our whole street and neighbors with it since 1986 until I got it. These JD 200 series are bullet proof. A set of rear wheel weights when mowing would be good too.
  5. milchuck

milchuck LawnSite Member

Just noticed the GT5000 is on sale at Sears right now for $1999--$300 off regular price but only til tomorrow. Guess I better do some quick researching...thanks
  6. MowingInAZ

My advice, if your going to drive a slope, get the Hydro (true automatic). The GT5000 would be perfect for 1 1/5 acres, just make sure you get the hydro, well worth the extra $200.
  7. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just one thing to say about the Craftsman......

Why buy a machine that will be shot in 5 years when you can buy a 20 yr. old John Deere that will be good for another 20 years for 1/2 the money? :confused:
  8. MowingInAZ

I love John Deere, but Craftsman is a great brand. Craftsman will last just as long as a John Deere, but John Deere does have its loyalists (aka Smalltimer). I could never argue that John Deere isn't a great brand, but I'm saying that Craftsman should always be considered.
  9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Smalltimer, I belive you are supposed to mow slopes side to side, not up and down...
  10. milchuck

milchuck LawnSite Member

Hey, just got done reading through the other threads about how Sears mowers are of such poor quality. I had almost had my mind made up to go buy the GT5000 tomorrow. A couple of folks had suggested I go with an older John Deere and well, i have a John Deere 180 I was replacing so now I'm wondering if I should just invest the money in a new starter and keep it running instead of buying a new one. Problem is, I know I'd never take it on that hill.......decisions, decisions.....