1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best tractor/ZTR for slope

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by milchuck, Sep 4, 2005.

1. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

how hard are the wiring harnesses to replace on those?? A dealer in illinios has either a old 210 or 214 with plow for 500 not sure if its worth the drive tho
  2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

210 or 214 has a variable speed manual (4 forwards, 1 reverse) trans. Damn near built proof unless you plow snow with it for 12 hours each storm doing driveways. The back and forth between reverse and 2nd/3rd constantly while ramming snow piles will cause you to smash up a few gears.
  3. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

what wore out on mine was the keys that hold the gears in damn things were rounded off
  4. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The 200 series have a granny low 1st gear you'll almost never wear that out. When I was plowing with that old Allis I had I always used 1st gear and WOT. I tried doing it in 2nd and 3rd, but they were simply too high to be safe on the tranny and engine.
  5. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Any 200 series that runs is worth $500 by itself. Sometimes the plows bring $500, heck if you bought that one you could almost consider the tractor as free since it comes with a blade. I say go for it.

The wiring harness is pretty straight forward. If that is determined to actually be the problem, go ahead and get the new one, and then just unplug one part of the old one, plug the corresponding new plug in that location, and so on until its all in. Not very hard at all. The 100 series don't have all the shields that the larger ones like my sold 140 and the 300 I have.
  6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

bad connection will cause heat which in turn causes smoke, take a voltage meter & stick it on the pos. terminal put the other end down thru all the gunk to get a real good connection at the solinoid, turn the key, what ever your meter shows is your voltage drop (lost voltage under load is different than no load) if its not zero, you need to clean or replace your cable, do the same thing solinoid to starter, then do the same test on the neg. cable. usually its just corrosion on the terminal, take them off & clean with a wire brush & then mix some baking soda & water pour it over the connecters. cleans them right up. also keep in mind that the mounting on the solinoid is also the ground for the relay to operate.
  7. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

already new battery cables and a brass brush on the battery, battery was new in fall 04
  8. MowingInAZ

MowingInAZ LawnSite Member

So Chuck, what did you get?
  9. milchuck

milchuck LawnSite Member

Well, I called up both Sears stores that are within a reasonable distance but no one had anything in stock. They offered to order it (GT 5000) but I cant see shelling out $2500 on something I can't check out before I buy it and it would take 8-10 days to get here. I went by the local John Deere place and they have a used L160 with 78 hrs on it for $1600 and I'm pondering it. It wouldn't help with my slope problem as it looks like it has a higher profile than the 180 I already have. I may just call Sears back and tell them to order it, pay for it and then just "return" it if I go to pick it up and don't like it.
  10. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

Get The Deere