best trade rag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by trying 2b organic, Sep 21, 2004.

1. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

I currently only subscribe to the Canadian mag called Turf and Rec but want to subscribe to one of the American trade mags. My search didnt turn up to much, just Grounds Maintenance which looks good. Can you tell me the best one for lawn maintenance and care. ty

2. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

3. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

awsome, ty I appreciate it. :waving:

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Looking for the "best trade rag" for the lawn industry is unfortunately something like looking for the "best STD to catch" in terms of what I've found available out there. I've read about half a dozen of them regularly to sporadically and other than the ads helping me keep up with new products I haven't learned much about either running a lawncare business or the industry in general.

The editorial standards are something you'd expect to see at a high school paper rather than a business. Lots of generic advice on business success, perhaps useful to someone with no other business training, but very little real meat on what you need to do to that is specific to the industry. Zero equipment reviews (out of fear of offending advertisers most likely), few "how to" technical articles, especially when it comes to mowing and maintenance techniques.

5. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I don't read any of the magazines I get in the mail anymore. They are sorta like the free mags at the grocery store, just a bunch of adds for equipment manufacturers.

Even Playboy has more articles in their magazine then the lawn/landscape mags. What's up with dat!

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I agre, but the two that Odin had mentioned are by far the two best when it comes to actual information. Landscape & Irrigation is another that has some more info in it.

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

The two that I like are Landscape Manangement & Grounds Maintenance. Try a few of them and find the ones that are best suited for your growth.

Gravely_Man

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I read Turf, Pro, Grounds Maintenace, and Lawn & Landscape. Lawn & Landscape is by far the best out there. The only reason that I read Turf any more is for the editorial column (nice one Mr. Cassidy: bringing back deadly pesticides.)