1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

best trailer deck wood sealer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by IMAGE, Apr 13, 2008.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

anyone have any input on what would be the best sealer to use on a wooden trailer deck?

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

What type of wood ?

You want to completely seal it or paint it ?

The best wood preservative is oil a light weight hydraulic oil but you may have troubles with it when it rains :laugh:

The only other suggestion would be use Sikkens it stinks like h*ll but it works good.

3. IMAGE

from midwest

it want to seal it, not paint it.

I just dont want to spend $35/gallon for some home owner deck sealer. Hoping someone knows of a cheaper "industrial" sealer.

I will probally just go with the cheap stuff at home cheap0, cant rememberthe price but it wasnt too bad.

4. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I would go with a 1/2 and 1/2 of Linseed oil and thinner. It is really a great sealer. I have had it on a trailer deck for 4 years now. This year were are going to reseal it. Do it on a hot sunny day and let the wood get all the sun. It will soak up the oil and the wood will become tougher. I have done this to many trailers....works everytime

5. IMAGE

from midwest

Paint thinner or Laquer thinner?

Thanks!

6. des1477

des1477 LawnSite Member

Old motor oil works good.

7. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Sorry it took so long to get back on this. Paint thinner....works great. If you have time to do it...a few coats is even better. But wait for them to soak in before re-applying. works really well.

8. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I just treated my trailer deck Sunday. I used Armorall brand sealer, not sure how it will hold up over the summer but I guess I'll find out.

9. SPENCER HUNTER

SPENCER HUNTER LawnSite Member

Well As In Wood Deck's Go I Use Cabot Products,, It Last About 3 To 4 Years Before U Have To Reapply It Again,, I Tried Thompson's Wood Products They Last About 1 Yr To 18 Months,,, The Cabot Comes In Several Different Color To Choose From,,and It Repels Water,,as In Beads Up When It Rains,,, My 2 Cents Worth,,,,,,,,

10. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I was trying to think of the name, Cabot... It is much better than Thompson's.