1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Best transits/laser levels?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jau250, May 5, 2014.

1. jau250

jau250 LawnSite Member

I am interested in purchasing a leveling system to make grading for patios and retaining walls easier. What do you think my best option would be to go with?

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

If you aren't running long distance like say a baseball field, or trying to grade multiple acres, and you are doing patios, multi terraces and steps?

Google Ziplevel.

I've had one since 2005… It's a godsend. It's faster and easier in short areas and is totally one man quick quick quick.

check it out.

3. Krafty

Krafty LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from St. Louis MO

Topcon hands down. Spend some money on it and it will only hurt once.

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Second the topcon. Got one sitting on the passenger side floorboard right now.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Spectra GL422 grade laser and a CR600 receiver with an attachment for my excavator boom when doing rough grades. They are not cheap but well worth the money. The digital slope adjustment save tons of time!

6. jau250

jau250 LawnSite Member

Any comments on the zip level?

7. jmkr02

jmkr02 LawnSite Senior Member

topcon I was at a seminar the guy mentioned a zip level no one used one in our area. But it was what the person used in Toronto. I'm interested in what people think of them. I guess it is like the old garden hose trick but digital.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. TomG

TomG LawnSite Senior Member

Topcon. We have 2 of them with magnetic receivers that go on our mini excavators. Huge time saver.