best trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I was just wondering what trees are favorites for lighting.

I am putting my lights in soon and will be adding some trees to my front yard. I will go with a live oak on one side, and need a small to medium tree to frame my house on the other.

Mike

2. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

Japanese Maples are gorgeous! I typically use a large can lighter from nightscaping. You want a large wide beam for these trees since they are typically wide and not very tall.

3. Mike M

from usa

Thanks, I like japanese maples a lot and had considered it. Funny, I was all ready to go with a paperbark maple, totally awesome small tree, but I read I am just one zone too south. Clemson U says the coastal zone is not ideal for the paperbark.

So, I figured I would relocate a smaller crape myrtle to that spot in the front yard, and plant a weeping yaupon holly along the corner of my house. They should both look gool lit up.

Mike

4. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Have you thought about putting a Coral Bark Maple in that spot. Mine looks great at night lit up with the red bark all over.

5. Mike M

from usa

I just looked up coral maple -- that looks awesome, too. That's what squidward has! But I see inconsistent climate zones. It seems like it falls short of zone 9. Too warm I guess.

Mike

6. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

That sucks because it is a beautiful tree all year round even in the winter when it is lit up at night.

7. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

personally i like the way a nice multi trunk tree lights up... a nice ligustrum (varigrated or JF). They stay green all year and can be trimmed in a wide variety of forms.