Best trim mower for <$500?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BAMARED, Mar 13, 2003.

1. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

Once again, I'm adding to the fleet. I've come across an extra $500 and would like to know which trim mower you guys would buy if you only had $500 to spend. I need a self-propeled type w/ bagging capabilities.

Thanks in advance,

BAMARED

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I've used Toro and Honda- both great. Never used a self propelled bagging Lawn Boy so I can't comment on that.

3. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I am no pro by any means (YET) But I saw a cub cadet at target for 450 or so It has a Kawasaki 6.5 and caster front wheels, looks like it would hold up to commercial use.

4. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

Tbarchaser,

Yea, I saw this same mower. It looked <B>real</B> nice - especially for the $. I wonder how the KAW engine would hold up?

Thanks,

BAMARED

5. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Used Toro proline.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

One that stays in the shop!

Seems like I saw the Snapper 21" has a pressurized system.

7. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

65Hoss,

What does a pressurized Snapper cost? Who makes eng.?

Thanks again,

BAMARED

8. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

My pick would be a lawnboy. 2 years running still like new. Use it on maybe 5 lawns a week

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I really don't know the price. I think it was a robin motor, but I can't 100% say. There is one person on this site that can say for certain, I will get him involved.

10. G. Moose

G. Moose LawnSite Member

Only experience I have with small mowers is with the Home Cheapo John Deeres. We have 2 of them. They have 6.75 hp Briggs Intek engines which have done well for us. They have bag, mulch, and discharge capabilities. These models come with front caster wheels which are very nice in terms of speed and ease of operation. But the casters are a little "cheap" if you will. Have to replace them every 75 hours. But they're only about $15 apiece. When these die, I will probably replace them with the same model. We paid $489 apiece. You could save some dough and get the standard front wheel model for about $439.