1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Best Trimmer for 2007 - EPA Restrictions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TPLawnPro, Feb 25, 2007.

1. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

I can't believe how commercial string trimmers have changed over the years due to the EPA dropping the hammer on the 2-cycle engine world.
    When I first started my business back in 1994, I started with Maruyama trimmers. Back then, they were excellent - maybe they still are? A few years later, I made the switch to Shindaiwa trimmers. Then last year, after Hurricane Katrina, I made the switch to RedMax trimmers. :dizzy:

As the EPA continues to increase emissions standards on 2-cycle technology, some brands just aren't delivering a benchmark product. So, which manufacturer/brand in your opinion gives professional lawn and landscape professionals the best overall product - based on the latest 2-cycle engine technology? Another words, if you had to purchase two brand new line trimmers right now, which brand and model would you choose? And why?

EX: Which manufacturer do you believe is going to lead the way and become the benchmark leader in commercial trimmer technology for the future?
    And why?
  2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i would buy the husky 326. they actually run better than the older models. redmax strato charged is pretty good too. shindawia seems to have suffered the most. dont buy a 231!

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

All trimmers sound good when you are running them,but go stick em in some high weeds,shindaiwa took a beating from the epa,redmax is on top,i have buddies running stihl that are pleased.
  4. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

SRM260S with the solid steel drive shaft is one of the best trimmers on the market for just over 300 bucks.

Torque monster.

The SRM260T is nice with the high torque box, but it does use the flex shaft. It is warrantied for life though.
  5. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

I've been pleased with Kawasaki's latest model, the KGT27A, and the new Stihl 4-mix engines seem pretty good. I'm planning on buying a new edger this year and I think Stihl is the way I'm going.
  6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I was considering a Redmax trimmer but my dealer had more carburator problems with the BCZ trimmers last year than he said was worth it. He said out of all the Redmax trimmers he sold (about 30), he had to replace the carbs (under warranty) on 25 of them. A few needed multiple replacements before all was said and done.

I am going to stick with Echo. I have not had any problems with them and have been very satisfied with their performance!
  7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Tanaka has been a leader in this trend and they have one of the best reputations around and their trimmers are some of the best in the business.
  8. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you all for the feedback!

I went today to Lesco to see the Kawasaki line trimmers up close. Personally, I was not all that impressed with the construction of these machines. I looked at the Kawasaki KBL27 and the KGT27 trimmers.
    For me, too much plastic along with regular phlilips head stainless screws holding the machine together. I am used to a commercial trimmer being put together with heavy-duty hex-head or allen-head screws, along with metal/alloy housings.

I just really hope that the commercial handheld equipment manufacturers can somehow give us back the kind of build-quality that we had 10 years ago in a string trimmer.

I think I'm going to stick it out with RedMax BCZ-2601s for now.

I can't wait to see which manufacturer steps up to the plate in the next year or so to design the ultimate, longest-lasting, lightest but most durable, innovative EPA compliant 2-cycle line trimmer.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Thumbs up on redmax.
  10. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

i too would go with redmax, mainly b/c I am a long time loyal customer.

The trimmer i bought from redmax last year had some problems being underpowered. This is due to the EPA regulations from what I understand. My dealer has it now and is making some changes that are supposed to solve the problems.

I did hear (i think on here) that there is a screw for adjusting the carbs but it is covered with a plastic cap b/c it is not supposed to be there. If you take that cap off you can adjust the carb and make it run better (run right). I would assume that is what my dealer is doing.

I am overall happy with redmax still and do recomend the redmax line.

I have heard problems with the stihl 4-mix engines needing regular (expensive) valve adjustments. Can someone that has the engine confirm/dismiss this claim?