best trimmer for a female

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by garth1967, Dec 21, 2005.

1. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

i have a young female working with me and she is great. she operates evrything really well. the only trimmers i have are hondas and a komatsu which are heavy and awkward.she never complains but i see her struggling. these trimmers do a great job. i need a trimmer with similar cc's but is more managlable for a female, a bit lighter and shorter.

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I had an old Maruyama that was very light weight and still worked great on weekly maintenance. I say weekly maintenance because if you are using on new accounts that havn't been trimmed recently and b-weeklys, it might struggle a little bit. The best advice I could give you and just get a pen and paper together, hit the websites of different commercial trimmer manufactures and compare the cc's and weight.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I use robins, they weigh in at about 8.5 pounds and have a steel shaft that you can add a blade too if you so desire.The engine is kinda small but spunky and works well for weekly trimming. I think it may be a little under powered for brush clearing but a great trimmer for weekly work. I have 3 of them and am well pleased (nb2050)
    http://www.robinoutdoorpower.com/pro-trimmers.htm

wayne

4. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I had a female working for me awhile back i bought her a makita rbc2510
    24.5cc 9.7lbs. they also have a Makita RBC201 its 20cc and 8lbs.

5. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

echo 21-26 cc trimmer the more power, the heavier the unit. echo is extremely lightweight w/ parts availability virtually anywhere

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

The lightest Commercail trimmer I have used is a Husquavarna 21cc they are super light compared to my heavy redmax's.

This trimmer should be just right for her, if youcan't get one of those get an Echo, but echo's don't last long if you run w/o a guard

7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

makita is just a robin in desguise. i recommend a robin or a husky.women can handle an echo 210 but nothing heaver. my main problem with women and trimmers is they cant figure out how to reload the line.

8. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

9. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

My wife used a couple of different trimmers starting out, including the Stihl FS 45, because of its low weight and the easy start feature. Well over a year ago she switched to the FS 110 and did not use the old FS 45, or any other of her old trimmers, ever since.

No problem starting the FS 110, no problem using it, even for an extended time periode. My wife is around 5 feet tall, 105 to 110 pounds.

John

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I was at a stihl day promotion at a local dealer a month or so ago and the factory rep claimed they had trimmed a little weight off the 100/110 trimmer. But actually came up with a better balanced machine that made the weight not as noticable. Actually beside my fs85 the 100/110 felt lighter to me

wayne