best trimmer head

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by a1 lawncare, May 14, 2003.

1. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

it's a rainout for me and my maint. is up so i'm looking for some info, and yes i did use the search command, but my eyes are starting to bleed and i have not been able to find what i seek. what is the best trimmer head (shin. or aftermarket) to use on a t230 shin, i have bought alot of shin. stuff in the last year or two and have been well pleased, but i don't care for the head on the 230, i know some say its under-powered but i needed a small light weight easy to handle trimmer and this fits the bill. my other 2 trimmers are older and heavier stihls, and there great for the big heavy rough stuff, just to much when not needed.

thanks, keith

2. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

i like the pro-matic head that came on my shindy's

3. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

i run 2 shindawi trimmers. a 230 light and a 270 heavy. on both i run the shindawi pro manual feed head. you can rig it to use 2 strings or 4 strings. i use 130 size string, this arrangement works well for me. i don't like tap-n-feed.
    the large diameter string coupled with the quad string arrangement, shield removed, allows precise control, and the string last a long time. wear safety glasses.
    ask your dealer to see the item i am talking about. i have responded to several threads concerning heads, and as far as i know, i'm the only one here that uses it.
    from what my dealer says, the people who buy this head/string are weedeating parks and highway shoulders.
    i use it residential and commercial and think you can't beat it.
    my 2 cents worth.

4. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I just bought a new Shindaiwa 230, the head is so much different than my stihl. It harder to string, use one piece. Stihl is split, use two pieces. Guess its just gonna take some getting used to. Other than that, the shindy is great!

5. howiehowie

howiehowie LawnSite Member

I like pro head! :eek: It is the only way to go.

6. howiehowie

howiehowie LawnSite Member

I use 2 pieces on mine. hmmmmm Maybe we are talking about differenet heads.

7. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) I run the Pro Manual it kicks grass, ive got a bump feeder head on my T-260 it's ok, but i like the manual alot better, easy and the thicker line last for a normal yd..........Marks Mowing Service

8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Whichever one is on there at purchase.

9. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

thats what i'm used to also on the stihls, i'm spending to much time on the trimmer head on the 230, think i'll check into these others for the shin. like i said i'm happy with everything but the head. the manual maybe the ticket.

thanks again, keith

10. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

the way the manual head works is like this. you cut strings that are approx. 14" long. you can either thread one string through the head to get dual. thread 2 through the head to get quad string. last a long time, like mark said, and it is easy to rethread.