Best trimmer in $300-$450 price range?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by lotsagrass, Apr 25, 2010.

1. lotsagrass

lotsagrass LawnSite Senior Member

I believe I'll have some side work coming up pretty soon and I'm wanting to replace this piece of crap consumer grade trimmer with a pro trimmer. I've used a Stihl FS80 in the past and it was great. I'd like to get something with even more power than that for my price range, if possible. I don't care if it's 2 stroke or 4 stroke but since I want the most power for the buck I guess we'll be talking about 2 stroke.

I want something with...
    - Straight shaft, long enough so I don't have to bend down to use it! (I'm only 5'8")
    - Lots of power
    - Reliable
    - Durable
    - Comfortable shoulder strap

I've only used Stihl as far as pro grade trimmers go (don't have one right now though) so I'm not familiar with the other brands. Since Stihl is easy to buy where I am and has plenty of dealers for support, I lean towards Stihl, but I'm open to suggestions for other brands, as long as they are at least as durable and powerful as Stihl.

2. eatonpcat

eatonpcat LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you can't lose if you're willing to spend that much dough!!
  3. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Echo, redmax, or shindaw (or however you sell it) if you're looking to spend 450$, buy the shindaw,
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

stihl fs 130 i love mine and its not to heavy tons of power.
  5. lotsagrass

lotsagrass LawnSite Senior Member

Hopefully I won't have to pay anywhere near the high end of my budget. I'd much rather have more money leftover to buy a few other things I need. It's hard to find pricing for Stihl products on the web. I know they only sell them at local dealers, but even simple pricing is hard to find online.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go check a few local dealers to see what they offer and what the pricing is. Some of the Echos I've seen look pretty nice, but I guess I need to see more of a selection. I've only seen the ones they sell in the big stores.
  6. mrealty

mrealty LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Go here:

and type in whatever city you want to compare pricing. The dealer with pricing on the web (there are many) will have a dollar sign out in the right column. Click on the dollar sign and it will take you to the dealer web site where you will find the pricing.

I've heard the South East has cheap pricing on Stihl. You could check the dealers in Augusta for the low end of the pricing scale.

Concerning the trimmer, I just bought a Stihl FS 110R and it's awesome. I can take down small trees with that baby (with a blade attachment). Although, the only thing I have to compare it to is a cheap residential Lowe's trimmer. So, anything's a step up from that.

Hope that helps.

7. shotgunshane

shotgunshane LawnSite Member

Check out Tanaka. They make really light weight, well balanced solid shaft trimmers. 7 yr residential warranty. You can price them on Amazon before seeing a dealer.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

The Stihl FS-90 starts at about 300, and the FS-130 runs up to around 4 I believe. Any of the trimmer models in between those two would be excellent choices. The only one I would hesitate on would be the FS-100RX, since it has a hollow shaft and a lighter duty gear box. The idea is it's supposed to be a dedicated line trimmer and your unable to run attachments on it. So it all depends on your use. I have the FS-90 and love it.
  9. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

Echo srm-230. $280. I have used mine commercially for three years no problems. Like it better than my $450 Stihl 110 for sure.
  10. Ted Bell

Ted Bell LawnSite Member

I use a Stihl FS 130 about once a month on a rural piece of property where the weeds and grass are thick. It has plenty of power, a shoulder strap and I have had no problems.