Best Trimmer Line

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Westbrooklawn, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I wondered what the consensus was on the best trimmer line.

My definition of best would be 1. doesn't weld 2. doesn't split, fray, or wear down quickly, and 3. is easy to handle and wind on the spool.

So far I have settled on stihl commercial .095 (the greeen line, not the orange), and it seems pretty good. I keep hearing about gator brand line, but haven't seen it for sale anyplace.

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

go with the Gator Magnum. It is incredibly durable. I have to respool arround three times less. It really rocks. Tell your dealer to get it or look for it on the net.

3. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

We really like Jds square trimmer line or it really is shaped like an H. It does not weld, is easy to wind and the price is I think about 15.00 for a 3 lb. spool. Hope this helps.:blob4:
  4. Westbrooklawn

Thanks for the current responses. Does anyone know where I can get the Gator line? I haven't seen it in any of the large mail order landscape catalogs, and can't find them on the internet. Also it is not sold locally in any of the dealers I frequent.
  5. HLC

HLC LawnSite Member

I can't make a good recommendation at this point because I haven't found a good one. Still trying to use up the **** I have now. I can recommend that you stay away from the Echo string. I can't remember the exact name of it but it welds and splits too much. I did have some that came on my Husqvarna trimmer that I really liked but haven't been able to find it again. It appeared "crimped." Wish I could find it again.....
  6. Westbrooklawn

You are probably talking about the husqvarna "titanium" line. I have used it, and it is decent, but the twist makes it somewhat hard to handle. I agree with you on the echo line.

By the way, Lowes stores now sell the husky titanium line, but I don't know if they are in your area. Of course your husky dealer should have it tool
  7. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I haven't had any problems with the square line I get from Lesco. Not as good as Gator Magnum, but easy for me to find. Good luck.
  8. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Try Captdevo, he may be able to get it to you quick.

9. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have tryed alot of different brands of trimmer line. I have found the Gator line to be the best. It's sold through Silver Streak.:) ;) :) ED
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I used the Husq. Titanium .095 crimped grey line. Seemed to simply break off at the crimps too easy.

I find that the .105 Echo Crossfire to be about the best. I only buy the 3lb spools, as when I buy the big rolls, it seems to harden and get brittle before I can use it all.

I dont like square line, to hard to spin. It takes too much power to spin it. The .105 crossfire seems to give the cutting performance of square line without the drag of square. For me, .095 just disappears too fast. Yeah you can fit more on a head, but it really goes quick when your edging driveways.

All line is OK when your just cutting grass and weeds, but when your edging drives and walks (concrete and asphalt) it just wears too quick.

I've never tried the Gator yet, but trying different lines is kinda a gamble sometimes. Sometimes you like it, sometimes you dont. Thats why I like 3 lb spools!!!