Best trimmer on wheels?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tsh1773, Jul 7, 2003.

1. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a large embankment at one of my jobs. (Pictures to come later). I have been using an echo trimmer to do it. It takes about 3 hours and 4 tanks of gas to do both sides and around cedars planted on top. I have sprayed it with round-up but it comes back after about a month. It's too steep to cut with a riding mower but not too steep for a wheeled trimmer or self propelled mower. I have tried a high wheeled Toro self-propelled mower but the bank has too many bumps/holes. What would you use? I think something self propelled would work. How good are the DR trimmers and are they self propelled?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If it's too steep for a push mower, it's SUREly too steep for one of these "trimmer-mower" thingamajigs. I sure wouldn't waste my money on one of these when you have a trimmer or two that is already more efficient for such applications of this type, anyway. These things just don't have that much use. You can't contour with them, (can't even ANGLE them as a matter of fact, unless you can find a place for the wheels to match the angle), and you can DEFINITELY trim around objest alot faster with a hand trimmer than you can with one of these deals.

3. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

I disagree... the DR Brush trimmer might work well for this application and they have a string trimmer attachment that may also work for you.

Unfortunately, I have no real experience with using one and in fact, I am extremely interested in how well the commercial DR brush mower works as I have 2 acres on my own property that I think it would be perfect for.

Posting pictures would help us understand your dilemma.

4. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

what about a hover trimmer. Husqvarna makes one and so do some other folks. floats on air.

5. tsh1773

Here is one side. The bank is 18ft at it's highest point and I have almost rolled by mower with my weight shifted. It's too rough to be stable with a riding mower.

000_0255.jpg

6. tsh1773

Here is the same side.

000_0256.jpg

7. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

hydro walk behind.

8. tsh1773

Standing on top

000_0258.jpg

9. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

thats nothing.ill get some pics up later of the hill i got.the DR would work well i think

10. tsh1773

The steepest, roughest side with trees along the base.

000_0257.jpg