best trimmer that I can fit a speed feed head on

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by str400ex, Nov 23, 2007.

1. str400ex

str400ex LawnSite Member

I currently have a shindawa 22t witch is a homeowners model trimer and I am in love with the head but not the trimmer I want more power and light weight but I want to be able to put the speed feed head on it any suggestions thanks Shawn

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Echo 261T. You would probably have to buy Echo's speed head though.

3. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

If you stick with the Shindaiwa, then the T242 would be the smallest I would try. A T260 or T261 would be best though. Shindaiwa does make Speed Feed adapters for most brands except Kawasaki and maybe Husky. They do make the Speed Feed head in two sizes now- the standard and the Lil' brother. Go to Shindaiwa's website to get more info. FYI: Stihl and Echo(261 or higher) all work well. Just stay in the middle to upper middle of the line up. This way you have plenty of power to have good throttle response with the added mass of the Speed Feed head.

4. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

:nono: Hit the back button for a double post. My bad.

:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

Since I am here lets just say that I give up.*trucewhiteflag*

Lets not make this a brand thing. Lets just here the facts please.

What trimmer have you used the speed feed on and with what success?

5. swim

Here is the link that will show you the adapter for other brands.

http://www.shindaiwa.com/nam/en/support/partslists/index.php

Then click other and speed-feed 450.
    This will let you pick witch ever trimmer you like to use with the speed feed head.

I like the speed feed allot myself. I use it with great success on a Shindaiwa T230,T270, and Stihl FS100RX,FS130R,andFS250R.

6. swim

7. Down2EarthLawns

Down2EarthLawns LawnSite Member

I have 2 Shindawas 242 & 230. Both come with a speed feed head. Opened the carb a little on both for more power, and took the protectors off. They are lighter, more powerful, and the heads work great with this set up for me.

8. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

Please explain how you opened the carb up for a little more power...I'm very interestred.

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i put the small er size speed feed head on my shin 22t and its awesume. no need for more power for everyday use.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I always thought the standard bump-'n-go heads were quick enough...

Get a couple extra spools and pre-wind them with string, stick in the truckbox, now when you run out you just replace the spool with another one already has string on it and voila.