Best truck Accessory?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Fishin LCO, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Fishin LCO

Fishin LCO LawnSite Member
    from NC

I was wondering if anybody could help me out. I am going to start towing a 16 foot dual axel trailer with my 1998 3.4L V6 Toyota Tacoma and want to add some extra horse power. My question is "what is the best accessory for the money?" My ideas are better exhaust system, one of those suped up computer chips(does anyone know alot about them), or any thing else that will not cost more than my truck does.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

2. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

start with a
    K&N air filter

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Well... If you want an actual increase in performance, don't invest in chips or things like that. They might give you an extra 2HP, but hp isnt what you need to tow a trailer, you need torque. Invest in a new cam, or get the engine bored. Bolt on power won't do much for you, neither will a new filter. A FIPK by K&N is the start though, but you're looking at a few hundred there. If you get a new exhaust, get the whole thing replaced, headers, and a cat-back system. hope that helps.

4. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Isnt that kind of a small truck too be towing a 16ft trailer with ? Why not trade that tacoma in for a half ton that you wont kill in a year or two. I luv yodas as well but they never have pulled that well IMO. Just trying to help!

5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

gearing really makes the difference. If it is 2wd you should be able to have the gears done for under $500 by a respectable shop. This will seriously reduce wear and tear on your drivetrain especially for an automatic tranny. For strictly power I would go for the chip as it may change your shift points on an automatic.

If you do upgrade the exhaust you may want to go with gibson or something similar that will not add a lot of noise. My dodge 360 is straight piped and the thing roars through a nice quiet develpment if I give it any kind of throttle while towing.

6. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx LawnSite Senior Member

"There's no replacement for displacement". you could get a nice used v-8 truck for your toyota. it will be a better investment in the long haul! Just my .2

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Chip my F250 w/351 V8 and dual pipes and 5 spd m/t is louder :D scares all the old ladies and rouses the younger ones ;) :D :drinkup:

Yes that is coming out in front of the rear tires. dual cherry bomb glasspacks, 2" pipes and 3" tips it sounds like :gunsfirin :gunsfirin
    You can really make it talk to ya with the m/t :jester:
    Oh yes I'm going to put on real pipes to replace the flex pipe junk :dizzy:

scan031, october 03, 2003.jpg

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

BTW I consider those pipes the best thing i've done to my truck, even better than the CD player. :p

9. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

The best accessory I can think of would be a 502 cu. in. 500 hp Chevy crate motor and an adaptor kit. LOL

Seriously,that truck is way too small to pull a 16 ft trailer, I would not run anything less than an 8600 gvw 3/4 ton truck. Even if you get it rolling, you have to stop it, and a Toyota just does not have the braking capability you need.

10. Little Guy

Little Guy LawnSite Member

How about a transmission cooler if it's automatic!